tim, first man, and his "spousal" duties

1. 8,527 Posts.
    IN 1978, Tamie Fraser inaugarated a new group for the spouses of Prime Ministers to be made responsible for the
    interior decoration and choices of valuable art works for the adornment of the Lodge and Kirribilli House.

And so Tim has alreay been sent a welcoming letter by the ladies of this committee, who are VERY escited, they say, at being able to invite HIM to follow the tradition of Prime Ministerail spouses, asking him to fulfil his spousal duties and to take over this momentous continuing task of interior design, upkeep and choosing hugely valuable art works for display. They could hardly gulp down their short blacks they were so excited!

So, as First Man, Tim will take over responsibility given by this entity to spouses to take on the huge task of re-vamping and upkeeping both of these historic grand homes according to his own taste. Given free rein, as far as I can gather. Choices and decisions, I understand, will be entirely his, as official "spouse". And seemingly no budgetary restraints on what he can spend on new art work. Some of it will be existing and juggled around of course.
    (Have to cut costs somewhere)

Let's hope the relationship doesn't break up mid-term. Or the next "spouse" could have entirely different taste.
    So we could have a hotch potch of floral carpets and sisal when one finishes and the next one begins - a Van Gough alongside the Pro Harts - could well turn into a designer nightmare!

But we hope not, don't we. Poor fellow will be so frantic carpeting and painting and supervising and running up curtains and spending up big on art work (should be good at that with Gillard as throwing around OPM like confetti tutor!) His days'll be so full he won't have time to spit, let alone attend to the royal hairdo daily.

How will she introduce him to the overseas high dignataries and royalty when they travel?? Good evening, Mr. President, may I introduce -My spouse? My boyfriend? My partner? My de facto? The man I'll make an honest man of one day -? Mr. Prime Minister?
    My home decorator? My hairdresser? The First Man?
    And, of course, he will get all the perks of a real spouse - VIP everything - drivers, planes, travel.

No - First Lady and First Man are Presidential terminology. Not down that track yet! But it's coming!

President Rudd? President Shorten? President Oakeshott?

Just my tongue in cheek conjectures.

As Julia said to the Two (Labor) Stooges, "Have to open the curtains and let the sun in - and move forward!"
    And spend LOTS of money!!?? And something about disinfectant - but I forget what!

I think the Dettol was an Oakeshott line. Irrelevant - so it must have been!

I'm terribly excited - aren't you?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.