Does Flannery really believe the public won't notice he has let...

1. 135 Posts.
    Does Flannery really believe the public won't notice he has let the cat our of the bag on climate change? Just a few days ago he said in a radio interview [and I quote}:

" just need to clarfy in terms of the climate context for you. If we cut emissions today, global temperatures are not likely to drop for about a thousand years? Just let me finish and say this. If the world as a whole cut all emissions tomorrow the average temperature of the planet is not going to drop in several hundred years, perhaps as much as a thousand years because the system is overburdened with CO2 that has to be absorbed and that only happens slowly."

That's a thousand years!

In a letter to the Australian yesterday, Flannery tried to resile from this admission, claiming it's not an argument for complacency and we need to act urgently.

So, in summary, the Climate Change Commissioner's view is that we need to act urgently to impose a debilitating tax at unknown cost, to achieve an unquantified and unquantifiable benefit which may or may not accrue for 1,000 years! And, further, that Australia act ahead of all our major trading partners which will inevitably result in the flight of capital and jobs overseas.

This government is making a mess of selling the policy, and is not helped at all by either Gillard, Swan, Combet or Flannery, none of whom seem to know what they are talking about!

Whether they like it or not, O'Farrell campaigned on the basis of opposing a tax on carbon dioxide which will blow out cost of living pressures, and NSW voted with their feet .... or at least their pencils. Gillard faces a similar wipeout if she persists with this toxic tax.

Having read this morning that the Greens are set to torpedo the mining tax, I expect we will be back at the polls within 12 months when the money all runs out, and this nightmare will finally end.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.