TIME TO CANCELL $400 BILLION AUKUS SUBS !!!, page-102

1. 63 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    India does it's own thing, which is fine. It buys Russian military equipment, Russian oil, looks out for itself and what's best for itself. That's fine when you have a population of over 1 billion and your own nuclear arsenal.

Other countries you mentioned aren't strong enough to contain a Chinese size coercive threat. I'm sure we'll strengthen ties with them where possible, and that's all really still to do with balancing against China, but the nitty gritty security comes from the nuclear powers IMO. Look at the countries Russia has re-invaded after the collapse of the Soviet Union. All outside of NATO (unallied) & with no nuclear weapons.

The diesel subs would've been good for littoral waters. Nuclear subs are force projectors, they deny other ships/subs access to areas of water, operate in strike groups with aircraft carriers etc. It's about meeting/containing any perceived threat further away from our coast, and with the help of the US Navy.

ANZUS does not force a response from the US if Australia was attacked. I think the main issue though is, the US probably wants help in the future to continue to be able to balance a growing China. As the abilities of China change, the response needs to change as well. Time to step up and help shoulder the responsibility so we retain that status of important ally.

IMO a lot of this is a bit redundant. I don't think the US & China will come to blows, because the losses for both sides would just be too big & likely result in nuclear exchange. So, the question is whether we want to enjoy the security the US umbrella brings, or chance the arm on ourselves knowing we have no way to defend ourselves conventionally.

Cheers!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.