QBE 0.71% $16.94 qbe insurance group limited

time to head off, so, my closing thoughts..., page-2

1. 181 Posts.
    Rhys, All good points and all worth considering. I'll throw out a couple of other points, that I think are worth considering too.

1. Company is in a good position for further acquisitions at a time when the Aussie dollar is strong and there are plenty of buying opportunities overseas. The company also has a solid record of making successful acquisitions and I'm pretty sure that management would be doing the numbers on a couple of options right at the moment.

2. Dividends are about 5.5% partly franked unless I'm wrong (which I could be). That's a pretty good dividend for a well run company that is seen as a defensive and which has good prospects for growth through acquisitions.

3. It is far from certain that the $500m lawsuit will be successful (everything I've read makes it sound like an outside chance at best). The claim may be successful, but I think it would be a mistake to assume prior to judgment that it will certainly succeed. Even if it does, $500m is not going to ruin the company.

4. Gross short sales yesterday was about 7% of turnover. For comparison, ANZ was about 10%, BHP 42%, CBA 14%, IAG 7%....... Looks pretty normal to me. And correct me if I'm wrong, but short sales have to be covered at some point in the future. Don't high short sales point to a higher buy side in future?

Just a couple of thoughts about QBE. I reckon that it is a buy, but my timeframe is probably a bit different. I'll be happy to hold for several years minimum. And if the SP falls, I'll be happy to buy more.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add QBE (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$16.94
Change
0.120(0.71%)
Mkt cap ! $25.45B
Open High Low Value Volume
$16.99 $17.03 $16.89 $36.20M 2.134M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 13224 $16.94

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$16.95 6278 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 04/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
QBE (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.