time to wake up, page-13

1. 24,842 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 37
    sarco,

Thanks for the reply.

The meaning of the word "amen" is obviously different between the Egyptian and Jewish cultures.

"changing one letter makes no real difference
    but one can choose to believe that it does."

Actually it makes all the difference in the world in this case. Especially as king Tut's name can be spelled in a number of different ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutankhamun

"Tutankhamun (alternatively spelled with Tutenkh-, -amen, -amon) "

"Amun (also Amon, Amen, Greek ?µµ?? Ámmon, ?µµ?? Hámmon) was a local deity of Thebes."

Ok. So again, this use of the word is different from the Jewish/Christian use of it.

"there is strong reason to doubt that the catholic encyclopedia is going to tell you that amen has anything to do with an egyptian god image
    that's like asking a thief if they stole anything from you.
    the so-called 'catholic' 'church' evolved/evolves as a fusion, (or accomodation) of many beliefs, and some odd doctrines evolved/evolves."

Sure. There are plenty of non-Catholic references if you prefer.

"as with all culture(s) (or cult-you-are(s)) there is the literal and the mythical or mystical, the majority of adherents go with the literal, because it reinforces the notion of the self."

Sometimes it's both..or more even.

"in other words, "you" can go to heaven
    but such a limitation is far from satisfactory or non-problematic"

Sure, I suspect that you are correct on that point, the clincher being 'what is 'you'. Jesus' main point is that 'you' must die in order to see heaven, and I see heaven more as 'eternity' than a place with buildings where I can have a big house, as the usual shallow cultural understanding goes.

"anyway, imo, this stuff is worth checking out if one is really interested in questioning what one believes,"

I agree, it's al interesting to learn, but in the end I must ask about anything 'is it TRUE'?

"changing one letter of the word sun or son, doesn't necessarily change anything."

Actually it changes EVERYTHING. 'Sun' big ball of burning gas in space, 'son' physical manifestation of God on Earth, a real person.

While your observations on Egyptian religion are valid I just don't see the connection between that and Christianity, even IF you change the words to suit. :)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.