TVN 1.79% 5.5¢ tivan limited

Urgent demand for lithium drives search for NT’s critical...

1. 1,181 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 259

Urgent demand for lithium drives search for NT’s critical minerals

The global demand and need for lithium is almost beyond comprehension, but the NT’s natural deposits could play a key role in meeting supply.

Media-link

The Prime Minister is calling on business leaders to help transition to renewables. The intergenerational report, to be released today, reveals demand for Australian coal will decline as the world's appetite for lithium, nickel, and zinc skyrockets.

Fifteen critical minerals have been identified so far in the Territory with potential for discovery of another 13 – but lithium is the number one resource based on need and ease of access.

The speed Core’s Finniss Lithium mine was established – first exports were just 15 months after mine work began – showed the potential for quick returns on investments.

Resourcing the Territory website described the NT as an emerging lithium producer, with ‘pegmatite-hosted’ lithium resources at the Bynoe pegmatite field close to Darwin.

As well as Core, Lithium Plus has claims at Bynoe and Wingate in the Top End and Arunta near Barrow Creek in Central Australia.

About a dozen additional companies are exploring for lithium in the NT.

As a finite resource, the challenge with lithium is sourcing enough to make widespread usage viable.

The Open Cut at the official opening of the Finniss Lithium mine Picture: Glenn Campbell
    The Open Cut at the official opening of the Finniss Lithium mine Picture: Glenn Campbell

According to the US Geological Survey, about 88 million tonnes of lithium has been identified globally, of which only about a quarter is economically viable to mine.

An average EV requires about 8kg of lithium and, according to Oxford University data scientist Hannah Ritchie who crunched the numbers, that would be enough for 2.8 billion EVs, about double the number of cars on the road today.

Ritchie further calculated that by 2030 the electrified economy would need up to 450,000 tonnes of lithium, about 4200 times more than the 105 tonnes produced worldwide in 2021.

Tivan, one of the companies identified on Resourcing the Territory as exploring for NT lithium, is also leading the way in delivering on broader federal and Territory renewable goals.

Moment to celebrate. Chief Minister Natasha Fyles and DCM and Mining Minister Nicole Manison at the December media event for the loading of direct shipping ore from Core Lithium’s Finniss project. Behind them is the Rossana ship at Port of Darwin December 30 2022
    Moment to celebrate. Chief Minister Natasha Fyles and DCM and Mining Minister Nicole Manison at the December media event for the loading of direct shipping ore from Core Lithium’s Finniss project. Behind them is the Rossana ship at Port of Darwin December 30 2022

Tivan executive chairman Grant Wilson is critical of the “heavy gas” focus at Middle Arm Sustainable Development Precinct and wants renewables to drive the NT’s future.

Tivan was previously TNG, which tried and failed for more than a decade to develop a titanium, vanadium and iron mine at Mt Peake, 300km northwest of Alice Springs.

Mr Wilson took the struggling company over in January and by February had bought the Speewah vanadium site in northwest WA from King River Resources, which is believed to be the world’s largest high-quality vanadium deposit.

Tivan wants to process the mineral and manufacture vanadium redox flow batteries at Middle Arm.

Unlike widely used lithium-ion batteries, vanadium redox flow batteries are said to be more durable and easier to recycle.

Tivan executive chairman Grant Wilson.
    Tivan executive chairman Grant Wilson.

To power this, Mr Wilson signed a supply agreement with Sun Cable in May to buy electricity if the Mike Cannon-Brookes-backed project goes ahead.

Maria Skyllas-Kazacos, who invented and patented vanadium redox flow battery technology at the University of NSW, is on Tivan’s technical advisory group and Mr Wilson plans initially to build a pilot processing plant at Middle Arm before upsizing.

A rendering of how Sun Cable says the world’s largest solar farm could look if built in the Northern Territory. Picture: Supplied/ Sun Cable
    A rendering of how Sun Cable says the world’s largest solar farm could look if built in the Northern Territory. Picture: Supplied/ Sun Cable

The NT government has embraced Tivan’s energy and vision.

Earlier this year Deputy Chief Minister and Mining Minister Nicole Manison publicly acknowledged Mr Wilson had backed-up his talk with action, delivering on everything he committed he would.

Ms Manison visited Asia in June to spruik Territory resources, particularly lithium.

“The hottest topic we were talking about was lithium,” she said.

“People had heard about the success story of Core’s lithium, the first lithium mine out of Western Australia and the fast time in which it got out of the ground and was exporting.

“My department is now prioritising lithium exploration, I’ve given that instruction around our Resourcing the Territory initiative that we must prioritise critical minerals because the global appetite is so strong.”

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TVN (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.