TLG 7.61% 42.5¢ talga group ltd

TLG - Media, page-12458

1. 2,088 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1110
    April 24, 2023

The world-unique find will contribute to the transformation of the vehicle fleet

The graphite deposit found in Vittangi is world class. That's what mining company Talga's board chairman Per-Erik Lindvall says when he comments on the Land and Environment Court's permit for mining operations at Nunasvaara Södra in Kiruna municipality. The company's test factory is already producing battery anodes from natural graphite, and there is great interest in the market.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5224/5224916-0a66986ff37cdde2f65298e26a869a35.jpg

“This is absolutely world class and there are only a few isolated graphite deposits that can compare to this seen worldwide. Together with the patents that Talga has for the processing of the graphite into anode material, a unique refining chain is created with strong competitiveness," says Per-Erik Lindvall. Photo : Photo from mine: Juan Jose Napuri Photo by Per-Erik Lindvall: Kaunis Iron

Per-Erik Lindvall is chairman of the board of Talga and has a long career in the mining industry, with leading positions in LKAB, Boliden and as one of the initiators of the restart of the iron ore mine Kaunis Iron in Pajala. He says that the environmental permit processes themselves are getting better.
    - The many processes surrounding environmental permits that I have lived through over the past 40 years have been a mixed bag. This time, however, I would like to commend the authorities for how they have begun to work actively so that the actual processes surrounding the permits are as smooth as possible for everyone involved. The requirements for documentation regarding environmental impact are still high, while the response from the authorities is more constructive than before, so the development is at least going in the right direction.
    The permit processes are rigorous when it comes to mining and the permit from the Land and Environment Court is not the only thing required to start mining. In addition to this, Talga needs, among other things, permission for a processing concession and land designation from the Norwegian State of Norway, as well as for the municipality to draw up a detailed plan for the area. The company must then apply for a building permit.
    - The municipality started the detailed plan work already in 2020, but has recently received quite a lot of media space when one of the ruling parties in Kiruna, the Social Democrats, in a membership vote with a small margin and few participants voted no to produce a detailed plan. However, I am convinced that this issue will be resolved with time, not least considering the great support for the Swedish mining industry that we know exists both locally and nationally. The importance of the mining industry for Sweden and the northern parts in particular can hardly be overestimated, he says.

A small but world-unique deposit

Talgas' planned graphite mine in Vittangi will be a relatively small operation. Per-Erik Lindvall compares it to a quarry for road material.

- Sweden's entire mining industry covers roughly between 20,000 and 25,000 hectares. The mine we are planning for takes up a total of 150 hectares. This is an essential detail when it comes to interventions in nature and the impact on pastures for reindeer. To put that into perspective, that will be about two truckloads of the mine a day.

The most unique thing about the site is not that the mine will be small, but that the deposit is one of the best in the world.

- This is absolutely world class and there are only a few isolated graphite deposits that can compare to this seen all over the world. Together with the patents that Talga has for the processing of the graphite into anode material, a unique processing chain with strong competitiveness is created. It therefore feels very funny that we are about to be able to mine this at a time when graphite is in such demand, among other things for the conversion of the vehicle fleet that is currently underway.

"Society must see the whole picture"

Per-Erik Lindvall explains that a permit review in the Land and Environmental Court is simply about two things: what the land is to be used for and what conditions must apply to the activities to be conducted. However, he believes that the Swedish debate has become stuck on the first question.

- There is rarely any dispute about which conditions should apply because the Swedish mining industry is at the forefront when it comes to environmental considerations. Therefore, it is instead the question of use that always occupies the media discussion. The big challenge for us, unlike for example a factory, is that the factory is built on land that is planned in detail to be industrial land. But mines do not have that opportunity, as they are instead established where the ore is found. This is why mining issues always become so sensitive.
    Regarding the issue of reindeer husbandry and mining, he believes that the discussion has stalled and today is significantly less constructive than historically.

- If you look further back in time, the mining industry and reindeer herding have been able to work together, but today the cooperative spirit is gone. Instead, it appears in the debate that you either have to choose a mine or reindeer husbandry, but that image is not true. In order to solve this, I believe that a political change is required and that one must dare to discuss reindeer husbandry in a different way than today.

When asked what he means by this, he says that Sweden as a country must ask itself whether it can afford to have the same system as today.

- I think the reindeer industry is worth preserving, not least from a cultural heritage perspective. But we have to ask ourselves if the current situation is sustainable. If we are to be able to simplify and speed up the permit processes, politics must be clearer in its priorities and balances. We cannot at the same time have a development towards an ever-larger circle of property owners with increasingly extensive appeal possibilities and at the same time believe that we will be able to keep up with the development. Today's situation is unsustainable and benefits neither the reindeer industry nor society at large. However, I have low hopes for a change as the issue is too sensitive for any politician with influence to dare to take it on, he continues.

In order to affect the activities of the reindeer husbandry as little as possible, the graphite mine in Vittangi will only have active mining six months a year.

- Of course, we try to be as accommodating as possible and the mining itself will be at a standstill during the winter when the reindeer graze in the area.

Permit examination for the factory in Luleå is now pending

The graphite to be mined in Vittangi will be used, among other things, to manufacture the world's greenest battery anodes. Small-scale production is already underway in the company's pilot factory, but the permit for the regular factory is to be tested during the month of May.

- We hope for a verdict before midsummer. When it comes to this type of business with a lot of competition, it is especially important that the permit tests are fast. This is also why we have a pilot factory so that we can be involved in the test processes with our future customers already now and be able to deliver fully tested product to the customer as soon as the future factory at Luleå industrial park starts production.
    And the future looks bright.

- I have never seen such a difference between supply and demand, which creates great interest in what we are going to produce," concludes Per-Erik Lindvall."

Unique discovery will contribute to the conversion of the vehicle fleet (svensktnaringsliv.se)
    Last edited by Gero: 25/04/23

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
42.5¢
Change
-0.035(7.61%)
Mkt cap ! $182.2M
Open High Low Value Volume
46.0¢ 46.0¢ 42.5¢ $209.7K 477.9K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 71218 42.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
43.5¢ 17177 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 13/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TLG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.