TLG 1.77% 55.5¢ talga group ltd

TLG - Media, page-7294

1. 2,188 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 314
    And in other News.........................

Sweden on track to get first female PM Magdalena Andersson

Magdalena Andersson is congratulated by Stefan Lofven after being elected chairman of the Social Democratic Party in Gothenburg on Thursday. Picture: AFPMagdalena Andersson is congratulated by Stefan Lofven after being elected chairman of the Social Democratic Party in Gothenburg on Thursday. Picture: AFP

Sweden’s ruling Social Democrats have elected Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson the new head of the party, putting her on track to be the country’s first female prime minister.

The 54-year-old economist and former top swimmer, who ran unopposed, was confirmed on Thursday night by the party’s annual congress to succeed outgoing leader and Prime Minister Stefan Lofven, who announced his resignation in August.

“I’m of course both honoured and glad and I feel a great deal of humility for the task, but above all I am hugely excited to lead our great and proud party,” Ms Andersson told the congress after her election, to roaring applause.

Ms Andersson also outlined three political priorities for the coming years. Firstly, she wants to “take back democratic control of schools, healthcare and elderly care” in the country that has long had a debate over welfare sector liberalisation and privatisation and companies being able to profit from taxpayer money.

Second, she wants Sweden to be a leader in the “climate transition” and become a role model for the world.

“Third, I want – no I demand – that we turn every stone to end segregation and smoke out the violence that threatens our entire community,” she said.

The Nordic country has struggled to rein in rising shootings and bombings – usually score settling by gangs and organised crime involved in drug trafficking.

Ms Andersson is now on track to be the next prime minister following Mr Lofven’s resignation after seven years as the head of the government, with less than a year before elections expected in September next year.

Mr Lofven, who is still Prime Minister, has not yet announced the exact date of his resignation. Once he is gone, Ms Andersson would have to win a vote in parliament to become Sweden’s first female prime minister.

The feat of installing a woman in the Rosenbad seat of government sounds almost anachronistic in a country that has long championed gender equality. All other Nordic countries – Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland – have had women lead their governments. But while Sweden has had several contenders, they have never quite made it to the top job.

Anna Lindh, foreign minister and fellow Social Democrat, died after been stabbed in a department store in 2003. Mona Sahlin, the first woman to head the Social Democrats and a deputy prime minister, was sidelined first by a spending scandal in 1995 that involved Toblerone chocolate, and later resigned in 2011 after an electoral defeat.

The job could yet prove a poisoned chalice – Ms Andersson will be tasked with trying to keep her party in power at a time when it is close to its lowest-ever approval ratings. In Sweden’s parliament, political forces are so finely balanced that the Social Democrats need the support of their Green Party coalition partners and the left and centre parties to elect a new prime minister. Electing Mr Lofven after the 2018 election took months of political wrangling. His government was ousted in a vote of no confidence this year, only to return weeks later as no other candidates could muster enough support.

If Ms Andersson claims the post she will also immediately be tasked with the ungrateful mission of passing a budget through the deadlocked legislature.

Born in the university town of Uppsala, she is the only daughter of a university professor and a teacher who first made a name for herself in the water, where she twice won gold in the Swedish national junior championship.

AFP

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
55.5¢
Change
-0.010(1.77%)
Mkt cap ! $210.7M
Open High Low Value Volume
57.0¢ 57.5¢ 55.0¢ $480.4K 856.5K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 33779 55.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
57.5¢ 46125 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 10/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TLG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.