TLG 2.17% 67.5¢ talga group ltd

A fantastic result. The wording from the court was highly...

1. 1,611 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2755
    A fantastic result. The wording from the court was highly positive, especially regarding the waterways. This was one of the main NIMBY claims, that the mine would contaminate the Torne river. Such is their stubborn ignorance, they are still continuing despite what the court has found:

https://www.sverigesnatur.org/aktuellt/domstol-ger-tillstand-for-gruva-i-vittangi/

"Court gives permission for mine in Vittangi

The Land and Environmental Court has decided that the company Talga AB is granted permission to mine graphite in Nunasvaara södra, outside Vittangi, in Norrbotten. The Nature Conservation Society sees it as incomprehensible that greater consideration has not been given to the Sami villages.

Behind Talga AB is the Australian company Talga resources, which says that the graphite deposit around Vittangi is the world's highest grade. It will be graphite that can be used to manufacture batteries for electric vehicles and thus contribute to the transition to renewable energy.

The company is seeking processing concessions in four areas, in addition to Nunasvaara South also in Nunasvaara North, Niska South and Niska North. Environmental permits have only been applied for Nunasvaara south and there the Land and Environment Court ruled on April 5 that permits can be granted.

There are several national interests in the area. Talma Sami village has its year-round lands in the area of the planned mine, but Saarivuoma and **na Sami villages may also be affected due to the obstruction and disruption that the mine will cause. The area is also in a Natura 2000 area.

Taken a stand against

The Nature Conservation Society in Norrbotten County and the local group, the Nature Conservation Society in Kiruna, have taken a clear position against the mining plans. An important part of the criticism is that the environmental consequences for the entire project, with all four applied for concessions, are investigated together.

When Sveriges Natur reaches Björn Lundquist, vice chairman of the Nature Protection Association in Norrbotten, he has just read the entire verdict.

- I am very disappointed. Permission is given despite our strong efforts to try to get the court to realize that it is not a question of a mine with four small mine holes, but an entire mining operation that includes the entire area between the Torne and Vttangi rivers, he says.

The Nature Conservation Society's main argument against the mine has been that the company is seeking permission for one mine and not all four. Björn Lundqvist says that previous examples show that it can be easier to get additional environmental permits when you have already received one.

Since the company does not report the effects of the other projects, the Land and Environment Court cannot take a position on the overall effect of the projects, according to the Nature Conservation Association.

Can affect rivers

The association has also pointed to shortcomings in the natural value inventories and the risk of impact on the Torne and Vittangi rivers, which flow together just north of Vittangi village. Therefore, the Nature Conservation Society has primarily wanted the application rejected and secondarily that it be rejected.

- But the court has only followed the company's claims and listened less to other factual reasons. The Sami villages have been exceptionally clear in their reports and that they did not take that into account is completely incomprehensible, says Björn Lundquist.

At the same time as the court process, work is underway on a municipal detailed plan for the mining area in Kiruna. The largest party, the Social Democrats, recently took a stand against the planned mine with a narrow majority. Because the Left Party, the Feminist Initiative and the Sami List have previously taken a stand, there is a political majority in the municipal council that is against the establishment of mines.

The Nature Conservation Society is now investigating whether an appeal should be made. In such cases, it must be submitted within three weeks."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
67.5¢
Change
-0.015(2.17%)
Mkt cap ! $256.3M
Open High Low Value Volume
69.5¢ 70.0¢ 67.0¢ $269.5K 393.0K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 8248 67.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
69.0¢ 17667 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 10/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
67.5¢
  Change
-0.015 ( 3.57 %)
Open High Low Volume
69.5¢ 70.0¢ 67.0¢ 115485
Last updated 15.59pm 10/05/2024 ?
TLG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.