TLS 0.00% $3.88 telstra group limited

tlscd, page-2

1. 138 Posts.
    In theory Ex and cum produce identical returns- i.e. when a stock goes Ex divvy it falls by the value of the dividend. But then that is the ideal / efficient market behaviour - which does not take into account dividend preferences.

The key downside risk is this: Telstra is a yield stock whose shareholders strongly prefer dividends to capital gains. Telstra has additionally run up well to the Ex date ($2.55 to $3.40). It is likely that a large number of fundies are hanging on to take the divvy and then sell at a capital gain. That would cause Telstra to fall by more than the divvy. [i.e. it is probably a good idea to sell now or be exposed to a short term loss - but over the long term TLS is a BUY!]

Since those same fundies prefer dividends they are likely to jump back in at some point probably in 3 to 4 months to build a stake prior to the next dividend.

The winning strategy could be to be contrarian, avoid the dividends and buy Telstra Ex Div. Doing so MAY get you Telstra a point or so cheaper due to dividend preferences driving valuation, but then dividend preference arbitrage is closely watched and priced out.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.88
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $44.83B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.87 $3.91 $3.86 $69.78M 18.08M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 66211 $3.88

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.89 400250 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 19/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.