To Inquire or not to Inquire. The PM calls family of woman making allegations a "Mob"

1. 41,428 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has dismissed calls for an inquiry into a historical rape allegation against Attorney-General Christian Porter.

The woman's family and the federal opposition have called for an inquiry into the allegation to go ahead.

"I don't agree with that because I don't agree with the precedent or the prima facie case for there being such a process," the Prime Minister said.

"Because that would say the rule of law and our police are not competent to deal with these issues.

"This is not the mob process.

"There is not the 'tribe-has-spoken' process.

"That's not how we run the rule of law in Australia."

The woman's family released a written statement, via lawyers, saying they were "supportive of an inquiry which would potentially shed light on the circumstances surrounding the deceased's passing".

The statement said the family wanted their privacy as they continued to "experience considerable grief arising from their loss".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-04/scott-morrison-inquiry-rape-allegation-denied-christian-porter/13214832

No respect for the victim's family, No respect for the electorate wanting to know if Porter is the offender of if he has been inappropriately accused, no respect for the law (if he did commit the offence that ruined a young girl's life then it is only right that he be tried).

If this is not handled respectful of people and law it could
    become a much bigger issue than needs be. As Porter's and Morrison's comments indicate so far, the issue could explode and bring down the Govt along with a whole lot of Liberal Careers.

My concern is non-partisan. My concern is for the Rule of Law. This issue needs a legitimate Independent Inquiry by an authorised and non-partisan person. It should be accompanied by a full Royal Commission into workplace standards and employee safety looking at ALL Parties. - if there are such issues in Lib offices, the problems must certainly be found among Labs, Nats, Greens and others.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.