reliance on the bible was not the intention of Jesus..............

1. 5,245 Posts.
    reliance on the bible was not the intention of Jesus...........

John 5:39 - Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

------------------------------------

Welcome back wotsup, long time no see, actually I was thinking about you just a min ago, I just saw a clip where Catholics were praying at WA Parliament House due to the lockdowns, have been seeing lot of international Catholic sites where Aussies are asking the world for help due to lockdown and what the governments are doing to us, we are well and truly becoming one family.

Anyway, and to your reply, as you remember I've mentioned to you many times before, you have to read all the surrounding text in the bible to get a clear meaning, that ver 39 doesn't support scripture, as scripture themselves don't offer eternal life, but Jesus Himself that gives life, and if you read ver 36, it's what he accomplished that actually testify of Him, not scripture, scripture are there just to past the gospel message down the ages

It's false to rely on scripture themselves for salvation, its Jesus who one must seek and hold onto

36 But I have testimony greater than John’s. The works that the Father gave me to accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me. 37 Moreover, the Father who sent me has testified on my behalf. But you have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38 and you do not have his word remaining in you, because you do not believe in the one whom he has sent. 39 You search[n] the scriptures, because you think you have eternal life through them; even they testify on my behalf. 40 But you do not want to come to me to have life.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.