to petzl -house prices do go down., page-5

1. 500 Posts.
    ziro:
    "It is a very common fallacy that house prices go up,
    flatten out, then go up again- just ask any real estate agent.

This fallacy usually comes from the fact that the end of a housing bull market
    corresponds with much higher interest rates, so often while the 'physical' price
    of the house hasn't moved, in real terms it has fallen.

For example, if a house worth $500,000 levels out and doesn't appreciate in
    value for a period of say 4 years while interest rates are 15%, the dollar value
    of the house has stayed the same but the inflation ajusted value has dropped by
    over 40%. In other words, if you had sold the house for $500,000 and put th
    money in fixed interest compounded, your would have around $875,000 after four
    years, compared with the house still worth $500,000! This has been the case in
    the last number of housing crashes.

This scenario changes completely when interest rates are low. As there is little
    inflation to dilute house prices after bubble, the actual dollar value of houses
    go down.

This is why the Economist predicts Australian housing (not just speculative
    units) will fall by 30%.

The only way this won't happen is if interest rates rise very quickly, in which
    case the former scenario will take place once again.

"

The big key is interest rates I agree

The factor however is not that simple

I still do no see physical price of properties dropping unless the Australian economy turns sour

Artificially raising Australian interest rates (which so far my bank has not passed on) Interest rates in many places USa Japan are low. Australia is not the only lender (for many) and it's currency is going up

So far Australia is one of the very few countries which people can still expect to buy property in its Capital Cities. This concept is not a factor in many of our major trading partners (people more concerned about renting)

I however believe share prices will out perform property

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.