Hi Sharks I think there may still be some info lost in...

1. 1,487 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 65

Hi Sharks

I think there may still be some info lost in translation and down to my poor (perhaps overly complicated) explanation.

To explain by way of example:
    Product: AUDCAD
    Basic Strategy: mean reversion trading rotations
    Position Size per Rotation: $500,000
    Current Rate: 1.0010
    Rotation Size: 20pts ($999 profit per rotation)
    Your broker is a market maker that takes commissions from the quoted spread.
    Avg spread cost: 2.7pts ($133.67)
    GSL Cost: 0.0001 ($50)

Strategy Execution Options:
    a) Traditional long/short outright positions w stops
    b) Hedge unwind w conditional orders in place of stops

To trade 5 rotations (5 Long trades, 5 short) the costs are as follows:
    a)
    Spread cost to open and close 10 trades: 20Spread or (20x133.67) = $2673
    Cost to place stops: $0
    Total = $2673

b)
    Spread cost to open 5 long trades & 5 short trades: $0 (positions opened at least 2xspread in the money relative to each other)
    Spread cost to close 10 trades: 10Spread or (10x133.67) = $1336.70
    Cost to place conditional hedges: $0
    Total = $1337

Option b requires the initial trades be opened 2xspread in the money relative to each other (5.4pts in this example) and this is where it gains its cost advantage.
    Whilst the probability of failure is low opening positions when price is in an impulsive/corrective move, there is a risk that you may not capture the spread.
    The calculated cost of this risk (not included in the above) is reduced as the number of rotations increases.

It is not possible to capture the same spread advantage under the outright strategy.
    The reason being, the hedge strategy can open its initial core positions at any time (i.e. using conditional orders outside of the trading range so they are executed during a corrective/impulsive move) as with order netting, it doesn't matter that one of the 2 sides is in the red).
    For an outright strategy to gain the spread it would need to open longs lower & shorts higher at the reversion points in the trading range.
    This is obviously not an advantage for either strategy specifically else you would capture these longer waves under both strategies.

Comparing options, option b presents:
    A 50% reduction in trading costs (1337 v 2673)
    A 40% reduction in trade executions (12 v 20)
    An 18% increase to the P&L after 5 rotations ($8653 v $7317)
    The more rotations executed, the cheaper the conditional hedge strategy becomes relative to a traditional outright strategy.

Being an execution strategy, it won't reduce the chance of getting the next trade wrong any more than an outright strategy.

I hope this adds clarity
    Last edited by Trae: 07/06/17

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.