I have a friend who used your kind of approach with a demo...

1. 5,867 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 224
    I have a friend who used your kind of approach with a demo account. He converted $10k into $50k in a few months. Then he moved to a real account and got wiped out quickly.

Obviously, your approach works well in a ranging market. As you say, it's frustrating for price to hit your stop at a point where a good entry has become a great entry. And it's great to be taking profits every time you close a position. In a way, you are using the CFD provider's strategy against them.

But it does get complicated when price starts trending, or if it moves say 30% out of the trading range. What do you do then? Your suggestion is something to do with fractals and standard deviation. At that point, a simple strategy becomes complicated. Then another complicated strategy will probably work just as well as yours.

One thing I am curious about is what happens if there's a giant move like when the Swiss govt changed its policy and the USD/CHF fell 25% in 20 minutes? People lost their houses over that. So I switched to always using guaranteed stops. In such a situation, would your conditional order be triggered? The provider would call that a Force Majeure event, so they would suspend trading and ask you to phone to place a deal, then everyone is phoning so you can't get through in time.

One solution might be to have very wide guaranteed stops at a point where you reckon it must have started trending to hit them. But normally they don't let you have guaranteed stops for trades going in opposite directions. I suppose you could use two different providers simultaneously. Ah, but then it has become complicated again.
    Last edited by LeeKing: 14/05/17

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.