Todays politics, page-9

1. 17,863 Posts.
    And how has Enoch Powell's Rivers of Blood speech turned out?

The "Rivers of Blood"speechwas made by BritishMember of Parliament(MP)Enoch Powellon 20 April 1968, to a meeting of theConservativePolitical Centre inBirmingham, England. His speech made various remarks, which included strong criticism of significantCommonwealth immigrationto theUnited Kingdomand the proposedRace Relations Act, which made it illegal to refuse housing, employment, or public services to a person on the grounds of colour, race, ethnic or national origins in the country. It became known as the "Rivers of Blood" speech, although Powell always referred to it as "the Birmingham speech". The former name alludes to a prophecy fromVirgil'sAeneidwhich Powell (a classical scholar) quoted:

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see 'theRiver Tiberfoaming with much blood'.[1]

The speech caused a political storm, making Powell one of the most talked about and divisive politicians in the country; it led to his controversial dismissal from theShadow Cabinetby Conservative Party LeaderEdward Heath.[2]According to most accounts, the popularity of Powell's perspective on immigration may have been a decisive factor in the Conservatives' surprise victory in the1970 general election, although he became one of the most persistent opponents of the subsequentHeath ministry

Rivers of Blood speech - Wikipedia

Last edited by AmbrosePethick: Today, 12:08

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.