too late, page-13

1. 10,423 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    G'day hawker,

Its a joke-anyone can go out to say Werribee and Melton etc and buy a nice 3 bedroom house for a smidge over $230k. Or you can buy a 2 bedroom townhouse in Kensington within 6 ks of the CBD for a smidge over $500k. The choice is yours....just stop your whining and get on with it.

It's all about the wannabees. When I moved out of home and into a rented house with my to be wife, we had a secondhand colour TV , an esky for a fridge, s/h dining table etc. It was all about living within your means.
    Yeah, I wanted new furniture, a new lounge suite or a new stereo would have been nice even, but the budget did not stretch. It was bean bags and a couple of s/h chairs.

I bought my first house, a 3x1 in 1979 for the princely sum of $33k in Thornlie in Perth. I could have aspired for a house in Dalkeith or even in up market Bullcreek at the time, not enough money so I bought where I could afford.
    I can't remember what I was earning, but it wasn't telephone numbers.

Kids today want it all, they have just moved out of home where Mum and Dad have worked for the past 40 years to accumulate as well as put them through school. They see that as what they should have...immediately!

Buy where you can afford is the golden rule, it may not be the Ritz but it will be home. Start at the bottom of the ladder and work upward. Where will the cost of housing be in ten years? Nobody knows...what we do know is the dollar will not be worth the same then as it is today. We more than likely won't have five dollar notes, they will be coins. It will take more of the lesser valued dollars to buy anything. So house and land prices may increase, not because they are worth anymore but because our dollar will buy less.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.