there's very little work that goes on here at all - if ever, in...

1. 79,551 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75

there's very little work that goes on here at all - if ever, in winter.

There's a busy boatyard in Migennes and I had a drink the other night with the woman who has just taken over there. One thing she said was that during summer, there's always people there doing things - but, in winter, there's not a soul about.

Where I am here - I have seen almost no work at all being done, barring a few owners doing on board stuff in the water eg. adjusting the sat dish or final prep for the winter for some who are leaving the boat here etc.

As to rules - no, there's not many rules at all in most places -- mostly you can buy annual rates for any marina (or most I have seen).

In Arsenal in Paris - I know a couple who live in there - and, they have to leave for one month a year ------- that's the only one I've heard like that.

France is a totally different setup to Oz - in almost every way. If you come to France, basically you can throw out all you know about Oz - it's much easier and free here ------------------- but, - the big thing which sort of makes it - well, not hard - but, awfully exciting sometimes - is that there's no consistency -

they all make up their own rules as they go along - which, might sound bad in Oz where people always try to restrict things - but, here, they always try to make things open - so, it works really well - but, you have to learn what's what at each place.

It's rare to hear a complaint that's serious - if you get into the networks - you learn the tricks, like everywhere else - things like - which power tokens work in some other places - and, which places give power tokens free and which don't - how long you can stay in the middle of towns and all those sorts of things.

I've found it really easy in reality - once I learned to navigate - which, depending on if you want to be somewhere and it's a long way away - is not as easy as driving a car - that's for sure - and if you've got a real boat - meaning bigger than my little thing - then, it gets more difficult to route plan - but, once you get it down pat and get set up for VNF alerts on what's closed or not - because one of farmer browns cows has fallen into the lockgate or similar - it's easy.

You must be prepared to stop at anytime though - and, out in the places where people really want to be - like the boondocks of Burgundy or other places in the south - things happen ------ lockkeepers want a holiday or whatever happens - so, if you move - you have to go through locks in convoy or - if mr. lockkeepers car breaks down on the way to work - you are there bright eyed and bushy tailed at opening time and ---------- zip
    you just have to be flexible -- I went into a lock back up between Paris and Calais somewhere - a lock where you have your little remote they give you to drive it yourself (if not - it was one where you pull the lever) - and, it opened or was open for me - I went in and it filled - then, zip - it wouldn't let me out

great - and, when you hit the intercom button - as sure as god made little apples, the person on the other end can't speak a word of English - so, that ended with coffee with a houseful of women who were living in the old lock house right there - and, a wait ------- situation normal.

It's France

and, it's great

oh - just a pointer for anyone interested ------------ in Oz - authorities are very big on flagging and registration --

I got my boat Aussie registered as required by Australian Maritime law for entering a foreign country-

for France - they couldn't care less --------- almost all the Aussie boats I have seen with an Aussie flag ----------- aren't Aussie - they aren't marked and carved - zip.
    The boat behind me is an exception - I haven't asked - but, it looks legal.
    The others - they are all fakers

So, if I did it again ------ I would have to think it through -------- the BIG issue is insurance - and, they are picky - depending on which country and which company.

Just enough to be aware that the Frogs couldn't give a poop about mere details like that ------------------ they do demand insurance in marinas - but, registration - that's for pedantic people to worry about - it interferes with lunch, wine and cheese

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.