Too tall?, page-225

1. 81,157 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    It depends on how you use it.

Some people would use it totally different to me - so, I'm happy to tell you what I do - long as you don't mind some personal potty procedures ---

I get about 1 month -------- the container is probably only about 1/4 full or a little more - but, you know when to empty because the spider handle becomes too difficult to turn.

There's probably only 3 secrets to composting toilets --

1. the loading material - as I said - I have only used peat moss and I won't try anything else
    2. The secret to composting is to separate liquids from solids - so, the urine must be kept away from the number 2's poos going into compost
    3. you need temperature - if you can grab 20 c degrees plus - you are cooking (literally) - winter is a bit of an ask - but, I make sure I pump heat in there often.

these are my particularities -

I do not put toilet paper in it like many people do ------------ you CAN - but, I just don't like the way the paper takes a longer time to break down - so, I put the paper in a little plastic bag and put the bag in the rubbish bin.

I'm a bloke - so, instead of sitting on it and weeing in it like the urine container on the front is designed for - I use a covered bucket at night and just sling it overboard in the day. -------- You can easily - as a bloke use the urine facility - but, you would have to empty it in between your monthly fills - and, a bucket is easier - AND - nb nb nb - you run zero danger of overfilling the thing - which is an experience that I'm told - one does NOT want to have.

That's it -------- when you are ready to empty the thing and recharge to start afresh -

it takes me about ? 10 leisurely minutes - 5 if ever I needed to rush -

you can do it anywhere, in any weather and, you are good to go.

So - the advantages of anywhere just cannot be overstated --

when I was being accepted for Arsenal - they want you to send photographic evidence of your holding tanks - you are not allowed to use things like normal heads in the middle of Paris - obviously
    they had zero issues with the composting

every other system is an issue in internal waters - holding tanks, camping porta loos, sea heads -- it's really worth thinking through well - because there's only a few real basics to life on board -

don't fall over
    eat well
    sleep well
    keep dry and warm
    be able to poo
    have somewhere on board where you can maintain your mental state though long dark cold hours ------------- for me ---------- a heated wheelhouse is essential - if one doesn't have a saloon with a really good outside looking place - you need to see out and you need to be comfortable in it
    one more thing for me ----- a boat that does NOT smell - and, for that - the composting toilet is a beautiful thing ---------- zero smell - unlike bloody holding tanks

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.