It depends on how you use it. Some people would use it totally...

1. 80,775 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    It depends on how you use it.

Some people would use it totally different to me - so, I'm happy to tell you what I do - long as you don't mind some personal potty procedures ---

I get about 1 month -------- the container is probably only about 1/4 full or a little more - but, you know when to empty because the spider handle becomes too difficult to turn.

There's probably only 3 secrets to composting toilets --

1. the loading material - as I said - I have only used peat moss and I won't try anything else
    2. The secret to composting is to separate liquids from solids - so, the urine must be kept away from the number 2's poos going into compost
    3. you need temperature - if you can grab 20 c degrees plus - you are cooking (literally) - winter is a bit of an ask - but, I make sure I pump heat in there often.

these are my particularities -

I do not put toilet paper in it like many people do ------------ you CAN - but, I just don't like the way the paper takes a longer time to break down - so, I put the paper in a little plastic bag and put the bag in the rubbish bin.

I'm a bloke - so, instead of sitting on it and weeing in it like the urine container on the front is designed for - I use a covered bucket at night and just sling it overboard in the day. -------- You can easily - as a bloke use the urine facility - but, you would have to empty it in between your monthly fills - and, a bucket is easier - AND - nb nb nb - you run zero danger of overfilling the thing - which is an experience that I'm told - one does NOT want to have.

That's it -------- when you are ready to empty the thing and recharge to start afresh -

it takes me about ? 10 leisurely minutes - 5 if ever I needed to rush -

you can do it anywhere, in any weather and, you are good to go.

So - the advantages of anywhere just cannot be overstated --

when I was being accepted for Arsenal - they want you to send photographic evidence of your holding tanks - you are not allowed to use things like normal heads in the middle of Paris - obviously
    they had zero issues with the composting

every other system is an issue in internal waters - holding tanks, camping porta loos, sea heads -- it's really worth thinking through well - because there's only a few real basics to life on board -

don't fall over
    eat well
    sleep well
    keep dry and warm
    be able to poo
    have somewhere on board where you can maintain your mental state though long dark cold hours ------------- for me ---------- a heated wheelhouse is essential - if one doesn't have a saloon with a really good outside looking place - you need to see out and you need to be comfortable in it
    one more thing for me ----- a boat that does NOT smell - and, for that - the composting toilet is a beautiful thing ---------- zero smell - unlike bloody holding tanks

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.