I replied in the middle of the night - I guess I should expand...

1. 80,730 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    I replied in the middle of the night - I guess I should expand somewhat - because there's actually more to the story which may interest people who might be thinking about this kind of lifestyle - and, lifestyle it is

below is a video of a group of reprobates who probably stretched the outside assembly laws in place during lockdown the other day - only saved by the legal technicality that the guy speaking is the marina manager delivering a lecture about safety - and, me - who was merely there to take names in case the gendarmes appeared

this is the sort of grouping you find when boating in some normal times - or in breakout days in these dark times

and - the groups are very interesting - always filled with interesting people - you are never far from boating or cruising advice - nor advice on living the life - visas, health, the normal procurement issues - water etc.

nor on where to go and what to do -

there's a couple of classics in this video -

the first guy in shot on the left - his boat is named Vitruvius (it's in the video as well - another Piper from memory) - it's named that for a very good reason - his life work has been around the engineer Vitruvius - who basically gave us all we see about us over here - way after he was dead - his books - when eventually found - provided the plans for building the rest of what we see today - so -- the bloke in the shot is an engineer who really is an historian in disguise as an engineer - so, I will get from him all the points of interest in the area - the plan is to spend a couple of hours going through his notes and marking on my mapping - the points ------- indeed - from what he tells me - one could spend half a lifetime in Auxerre alone.
    There's another guy in the pic - on the far side - with a deprived hair stock - next to the blonde -- he's been trudging over these areas for years - and knows so much about the areas it's crazy - his friend has just gone off for some weeks, so he's going to take me to Morvan - which he had told me about - but, it's too far to ride or walk - so, I had decided to go by car - he offered to go back there and take me - so, the boys will be out on the lam for a day at least.
    My next longer planned trip is to the site of the Battle of Fontenoy - which might be too much for me on the bike - it's a bit more than double what I easily do for a day trip (that's no problem) - but, it's 4 times the altitude (the climb) - and, I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet - so, I might car that one - but, it's a no miss because basically - that's where Europe was decided after Charlemagne's sons fought it out over the inheritance - I'd already been to the cathedral where they were upgraded from Lords to Kings (in Soissons)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Obélisque De La Bataille De Fontenoy en 841/@47.649891,3.2589816,13z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x47efc9457e54f161:0x3a61016250832e8d!2s89520 Fontenoy!3b1!8m2!3d47.648884!4d3.30527!3m4!1s0x0:0x6bee6fb11f5ebce7!8m2!3d47.643215!4d3.3124638

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvius
    Last edited by pintohoo: 25/02/21

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.