Top 10 most misunderstood Vic road rules explained

1. 72,219 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 141
    Top 10 misunderstood Victorian road rules explained
    • KARA IRVING
    • HERALD SUN
    • SEPTEMBER 22, 2015 12:07PM

Driving in the right lane could land you a $152 fine.
    1. CAN I use headphones or put my phone on speaker to talk while driving a car?
    Yes, provided the phone is secured to a commercially designed holder fixed to the car.
    The phone can’t be resting on your lap or touching any part of your body.
    Once fitted to the holder, drivers can use their headphones to listen to music or make calls, as long as they do not touch their phone while driving the car.
    Learner drivers and probationary drivers can’t use a mobile phone while driving, even if it’s hands free.

Penalty: A $455 fine and loss of three demerit points.

If you want to talk and drive, make sure the phone is secured to a commercially designed holder fixed to the car.

2. Do I really have to notify VicRoads within two weeks of changing address?
    Yes, if you change your address you must notify VicRoads within 14 days or you’ll be fined.
    Penalty: A $152 fine.
    3.Is it OK for cyclists to ride into the middle of the intersection before the lights turn green to get a head start of the cars?
    No, cyclists can’t leave the intersection until the traffic lights turn green. Cyclists must also leave the intersection as quickly as possible.
    Penalty: Cyclists who fail to leave an intersection as soon as possible cop a $379 fine. Those who don’t stop at a red light face a $303 fine.

Cyclists who don’t stop at a red light face a $303 fine.

4. What happens to people who travel below the speed limit while driving in the right hand lane of a highway or freeway?
    Road users must travel in the left hand lane or as far left as practical on the road.
    Penalty: You will receive a $152 fine for failing to keep left. But if you fail to keep as far left as practical while travelling on a stretch of road you’ll be fined and also lose two demerit points.
    5. CanI use my smart watch to make phone calls or listen to music while driving?
    Yes, as long as the watch is not attached to your wrist. Fully licensed drivers can use a smart watch via Bluetooth or if it is attached to a commercially fitted carrier.
    Penalty: A $455 fine and loss of three demerit points.
    6.Can I flash drivers with my headlights to warn them of police or speed cameras ahead?
    Yes you can. It is not against the law to flash your headlights to warn other drivers of police or speed cameras in the area. However, drivers can be nabbed for failing to dip their headlights.
    Penalty: A $228 fine and loss of one demerit point.

Roadwork speed signs must be obeyed, even when there are no workers around.

7. Can I ignore roadwork speed signs that are left out when the road works have ended and there are no workers on site?
    No, you must drive at or below the speed on the sign at all times even if you can’t see any workers. You must continue driving within the reduced speed limit until you pass a sign showing a different speed limit.
    Penalty: If you’re nabbed speeding less than 10km/h over the limit you’ll receive a $190 fine and loss of one demerit point.
    8. Who has the right of way in a narrow street where cars are parked on either side and there isn’t enough space for two cars to pass?
    There is nothing in the law that outlines which driver has the right of way. VicRoads encourages drivers to be cooperative on the road, particularly when passing other cars in a narrow street.

It doesn’t hurt or waste time to let someone in from a side street.

Penalty: Motorists who fail to give way can cop a $152 fine.

Cyclists, learners and fully licensed drivers all face different rules regarding drink-driving.

9. What happens if I am pulled over by police for having a BAC of more than 0.05 while cycling?
    Police don’t have the power to breath-test cyclists, but they can charge riders if they suspect them of being drunk.
    Penalty: Depending on how intoxicated the cyclist is, he or she can be charged with being drunk while in charge of a carriage, which attracts a maximum penalty of two months jail and a $1134.20 fine. They could also receive an on the spot fine of $57.
    10. Can a supervising driver have alcohol in their system while taking their learner driver for a lesson?
    Supervising drivers must record a BAC level of 0.05 or below in a roadside breath test.
    Penalty: If you record between 0.05 or 0.07 you will lose 10 demerit points and be fined $455.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.