top set boxes pensioners, page-23

1. 23,528 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    I did a ring around and this is what the respondents had too say.

Brian of Kyneton Posted at 10:49 AM Today
    Why is this news now? The scheme is already operating & is fully explained on the Digital tv Ready website. There is no mention of it ever being in doubt of continuing.

Comment 1 of 13

bob of mentone Posted at 10:54 AM Today
    My parents already have several set top boxes but will take another freebie if it is offered to them. This is a waste of money because people who already have one will still take up the offer.

Comment 2 of 13

J.Jazzer Posted at 10:59 AM Today
    What if they already have one?reimbursement?What if they lie and say they don't have one?Get another one for free?I wish this Government would stop trying to buy votes

Comment 3 of 13

terry Posted at 11:09 AM Today
    What does that mean ? He defended the BER ", BAT " RIP OFF TOO . He is a total idiot and just lies too much.

Comment 4 of 13

bewildered of Aus Posted at 11:10 AM Today
    $400 to supply and install a $30 set top box! Installation of these things is so simple my 14 year old can do it in 5 mins and teach his grandparents how to use - "well Pop now that it's installed all you need to do is press the channel button to change channels. Yes that's right Pop it's no different from analog, you just have more channels to look through now." This government is beyond idiotic and this "scheme" stinks of the insulation debacle all over again. Hey Labor government here's an idea - how about you give families an incentive to buy their parents/grandparents a set top box, make the cost of a STB refundable at tax time up to the value of $100. more than enough money to buy a STB and families can feel good about helping each other out. Now the $309 million you budgeted for has been reduced to a quarter of what you budgeted. Or is that just too much common sense for you!

Comment 5 of 13

Johnno Posted at 12:24 PM Today
    $30.00 for the box, $370.00 for the bureaucratic administration. Simple maths really

Comment 6 of 13

peter of esperance Posted at 1:06 PM Today
    Why not give all the pensioners a new TV. You can buy a flat screen for under 400 bucks so why not... cheaper and you dont need a heap of folks to set it up, and iam sure if you order 100,000 TVs you will get a major discount.....

Comment 7 of 13

JAM of Perth WA Posted at 2:07 PM Today
    I love bewildered of Aus comment re: the incentives for families to buy you should be in politics with that sort of thinking. I am all for the Aged getting them but the cost that the Govt seems think is applicable makes you wonder where the excess is going - into their pockets!!! - I purchased my mother a set top box and it has been explained to her by me and my son and she has no trouble operating it. If she wanted we would also make up a little sheet with step by step simple instructions to follow but she has grasped the concept very well (she is 79), also at the end of the day most Aged people take a little longer to grasp technology so how do you know that the people the Govt want to pay for installation will take the time and effort to explain things in a simple to understand manner - I believe the installers would be making money for nothing as guaranteed the families would have to go and sort out these STB's when the parent pushed a wrong button - it happens my mum did it in the first week of having it

Comment 8 of 13

Gina of SA Posted at 2:48 PM Today
    Would you mind referring to this as the set-top box scheme for CITY pensioners, please? - as our analogue TV disappeared last October in most of regional SA, (it was also switched off in parts of regional Vic this week) - and I'm darned sure my elderly parents weren't offered a set-top box.

Comment 9 of 13

Phil Stanton of Mandurah Posted at 2:50 PM Today
    I'll be very happy to accept the $30 STB, but as I'm only 84, I'll install it myself and you can credit my bank a/c with the $370. That would REALLY be helping this pensioner.

Comment 10 of 13

S Vivien Posted at 3:05 PM Today
    $30 set top box will not last long a total waste of money, give them an expensive one and get the family and friends to set it up. I purchased a "cheap" one what a waste of my money it was $100.00. Give them a digital TV. Oh but they cost to run. Give them cheaper power after all they worked hard for this country. Give them better health care. Do politicians have any concept of what real pensioners are going through. I am not a pensioner I still work but it frightens me that I will not have the quality of life I have now.

Comment 11 of 13

Rick Posted at 3:07 PM Today
    So let me see if I get this. Pensioners face a rising cost for things like umm food, electricity, gas, rates, insurance but hey while they are hungry and shivering in the cold for fear of an electricity bill in the mail, they can watch TV. Are we really interested in helping retired pensioners on a full pension as their standard of living is pathetic to say the least. Surely our aged deserves better than the cruel joke bestowed on them via this vile government. Lets do a Whitlam and put in place a governemnt that cares as opposed to the pack of morons that is this Labor government.

Comment 12 of 13

Mark of Alfords Point Posted at 3:32 PM Today
    Bewilderd of 11:10AM. While I'm sure your 14yo can do it in 5 mins, he/she does not have the cost of buying and running a van, tools, insurance, paying wages, etc. Also, should there be a problem, such a pixilation on one channel, would your 14yo have the technical capability and test equipment to diagnose and correct the fault? Also, not not every family has a tech-head, and even if they do the individual does not necessarily live close to the grandparents. Finally, the $400 also covers the installation of a new antenna and new cable back to the STB if required. (For example, analogue Ch 2 is broadcast on digital channel 12 and an antenna sized for 2 wont recieve 12 very well). Or is that just too much common sense for you!

Comment 13 of 13

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.