It was interesting to hear the speech given by Mitch McConnell...

1. 1,534 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    It was interesting to hear the speech given by Mitch McConnell at the conclusion of the Impeachment vote.

In no uncertain terms he stated that President Trump was "practically and morally responsible" for the acts of 6 Jan 2021.

So as an observer of American politics what does Mr McConnell's speech reveal?

First, there is no embargo on President Trump seeking to be elected President in 2024.

It's from this point it gets really interesting. Leave aside issues like health, age etc.

Is the Republican Party going to entertain Mr Trump again? There are some hurdles any person has to overcome to get to the final vote:

Republican v Democrat.

So if the GOP don't want President Trump (listen to what Senator McConnell said) President Trump could start his own political party. (The suggestion I have heard is the Patriot Party)

Again no embargo to a third party contesting the Presidency.

Of the 75mill (approx) Republican voters how many will leave the GOP and go to the Trump Party.

Does that not split the Conservative vote in the USA? Does that not ensure the Democrats have an advantage?

Like in Australia, imagine if all the Green voters moved to the ALP. The Coalition would be in a difficult position.

The Democrats lost the battle (to impeach) but I suggest the Democrats won the war.

Countless Republican voters (starting with the senior leader McConnell) have seen details of the riot and, I suspect, would now prefer to have another GOP candidate for Presidency in 2024.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.