Trump Declares National Emergency to Build Border Wall

1. 23,261 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 30
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/15/us/politics/national-emergency-trump

WASHINGTON — President Trump declared a national emergency at the border on Friday to access billions of dollars to build a border wall that Congress refused to give him, transforming a highly charged policy dispute into a fundamental confrontation over separation of powers.In a televised announcement in the Rose Garden, Mr. Trump said he would sign the declaration to protect the country from the flow of drugs, criminals and illegal immigrants coming across the border from Mexico, which he characterized as a profound threat to national security.“We’re going to confront the national security crisis on our southern border and we’re going to do it one way or the other,” he said. “It’s an invasion,” he added. “We have an invasion of drugs and criminals coming into our country.”But as he sought to deny that he was taking action because he could not persuade Congress to give him the money, he may have undercut his own argument that the border situation required urgent unilateral action.

“I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it faster,” he said. “I want to get it done faster, that’s all.”

“I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it faster,”

“I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it faster,”

What National Emergency , if he didnt need to do this?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.