I think Francis E. Kendall gives a pretty succinct definition of...

1. 99 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    I think Francis E. Kendall gives a pretty succinct definition of white privilege as: "having greater access to power and resources than people of colour [in the same situation] do". It doesn't mean that white people don't face struggles, or that their achievements aren't earned (points that often get brought up defensively by those ignorant to the actual definition).

There is so much interesting and informed literature/discussion on white privilege. Robin DiAngelo's "White Fragility" is a good start for white people wanting to understand more or those who seem to get offended by the mere mention of white privilege. When you look outside the lens of the dominant culture [white], and think critically about the unconscious biases you hold, it opens you up to a different way of thinking. White privilege then becomes glaringly obvious and more evident everywhere you look. For me, anyway....

I feel like dismantling white privilege should be so simple...at the core its about equality? right? But it's such a complex process because it means changing structural, institutional & cultural systems/behaviours/stories/ideas etc etc ad infinitum, to include the voices/narratives/histories of all races - not just the white perspective.

On a basic individual level i think it starts with each of us using our noggins to LISTEN TO and LEARN FROM people of colour. Don't just listen to respond, listen to truly understand. Just stfu and listen. And read & expand your mind.

**I refer to "you" in the 3rd person general sense, not the direct sense.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.