Try towing a van with an EV, page-119

1. 37,477 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 407
    I am facing this dilemma right now.

Daughter and hubby completely renovated a Jayco pop top for family holidays with their young family.

She is pushing hard for Mrs D and I to by a small van so we can join them often and maybe do a bit of grey nomad stuff ourselves.

My current car is a Skoda Superb 206TSI Wagon … plenty of grunt and goes like a stung cat … has the towing capacity for a reasonable small to mid size van, but not the tow bar weight capacity for even a small one.

So getting a small to mid size pop top van in the range of $30-40k becomes $100-120k by the time I factor in a decent 4wd. Being Scrooge McDuck with cars, I am concerned at the value drop to 2030 for a pricey 4wd purchased now. I also wonder about running costs into the future with diesel or petrol, and punitive taxes imposed.

I know also I can’t tow a van now with anything electric … it seems like the grey nomad industry is facing an existential threat … and nobody is talking about it, least of all industry bodies.

Beyond about 2030, I can see families keeping a relic diesel 4wd parked up to be used sparingly for van and adventure holidays only … with 1-2 EVs in the garage for buzzing around town and highway non-towing trips.

Dex

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.