Try towing a van with an EV, page-11

1. 27,332 Posts.
    Saw your post and wondered, then did some quick calcs to form a guesstimate on the question which came to my mind... What if every passenger vehicle was electric?

An insurer website says Aussie passenger vehicles travel a total of 179,761 million kms each year.
    I used a low fuel consumption average of 20kwh per 100km. (Towing not considered.)

So on a passenger vehicle basis I come up with 35,952.2 gigawatt extra electricity generation required each year on top of Australia's there about 265000 current gigawatt gen.

But in the USA they have about 13-14 times the registered vehicles and travel nearly twice as far each year than the average Aussie.
    A rough, very rough guesstimate of an extra 800,000+ gigawatt gen required each year.

Again towing not considered and 20kw per 100km average is probably being far too generous on the side of efficiency.
    Power loss in transmission and charging not considered either.

And I'm thinking how the industrial revolution phases and technology revolution didn't require special legislation to force the change because it sold itself.

Hmm.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.