Try towing a van with an EV, page-422

1. 3,493 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 80
    @Q....Our Haulpaks and Diesel-electric locomotives are hybrids too. They operate the diesel to generate electricity and in the case of Haulpaks have an electric traction motor in each wheel. Some of the older (smaller) Haulpaks used to be Diesel-hydraulic. (big Allison automatic) But i think most of them have vanished by now. The torque, at low speeds, makes eledctric motors very suitable for 100tonne+ mining trucks. The advantage of having instantly variable controllable traction on every wheel, without complex mechanical drives, is very attractive. Just use the motor as a generator driver.. If you can operate the motor at fairly constant revs that helps economy too

Hydrogen is the perfect fuel for ICE engines. It can actually produce more power than petrol. A tank of H2 is no more dangerous than a tank of petrol. Because of Hydrogen's VOD being higher than gasoline, it requires milder valve timing than an equivalent petrol engine.

The main problem with batteries I see, is that most people don't seem to understand how they work....Even lead-acid ones. They seem to expect to get more power out than they put in, or at least as much. Take Albo's using Solar Power to charge your EV at night. Doesn't he realize that the process is subtractive. You generate more power than the battery can store, to fully charge it. Then it loses some energy to charge your car battery. Then that battery has the normal losses to drive your car. The more stages one goes through, the greater the losses.

Hydrogen Fuel-cells are like batteries, there is always a better one just around the corner - that will, of course, be the answer to all our prayers. And, of course, the promises are about as effective as prayer. For we all know empirically, that neither HOPE nor PRAYER even cures pregnancy.

I guess one could try Prayer, when one's EV runs out of juice, 3Ks from home.

Our Father who art in heaven,
    Give us this day a minor recharge.

Gurgle....Marum.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.