FMG 0.87% $21.57 fortescue ltd

Turnball Must Go, page-63

1. 229 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 153
    Controversial, sure. Getting any former prime minister to work privately is controversial. Getting someone as a leader that has had a strong history of fighting for environmental issues despite his party line was commendable. Its a shame our news media is controlled by someone that can pull the strings in government to the point of removing figures that are for modernising our industries to be carbon neutral. And I'm not just talking about MT. I'm sure the move was calculated, will be really amazing if they bring on KR/JG as well, just to wholly show how ridiculous the Murdoch media is. Then maybe we can get what needs to be done in Australia to future proof our industries privately as it seems impossible through public channels. I'm on the flip side of this argument and would happily sign a counter petition and am certainly slowly increasing my position solely based on that announcement as I knew there would be some sellers around purely for political reasons.

I suppose the biggest point of difference is the whole idea that FMG will always be a mining company. That's just not seeing the forest for the trees in my opinion. The biggest companies in the world in the future will be clean energy companies in the same way they are fossil fuel companies now. AF sees that and it gives the company a real possibility of being the largest company in the world one day. This will necessarily involve at least partially green mining companies for the materials required for that infrastructure. But part of the solution will be solving other issues. Building bigger and better solar arrays in the outback. Getting the Hazer process rolled out at all treatment plants for carbon negative hydrogen production. Improving the efficiency of electrolysis. Solving the hydrogen embrittlement problems of current gas infrastructure. They need to move aggressively though, so far they are, just hope the trajectory continues.

In the meantime being the first iron ore producer to get carbon neutral should sit fairly well with the Chinese given how aggressively they are moving on environmental issues.

That's not to say I don't see the point of the whole coal and gas approach in the past. I think that maybe in hindsight it will prove forward thinking in that we got a resource out of the ground quickly and sold it to build Australia's wealth before it became a worthless asset that no one wants. It makes sense economically. In the same way, the writing is on the wall now that investing more in those industries is like trying to keep Australian car manufacturing going, its just throwing cash into a fire. All my opinion.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$21.57
Change
-0.190(0.87%)
Mkt cap ! $66.41B
Open High Low Value Volume
$22.01 $22.10 $21.52 $119.4M 5.503M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 13058 $21.57

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$21.58 11798 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 02/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.