Thu, 25th June 2009Swan fails to explain special favours in...

1. 2,780 Posts.
    Thu, 25th June 2009

Swan fails to explain special favours in OzCar affair

The Hon Malcolm Turnbull MP
    Leader of the Opposition

"The case against Treasurer Wayne Swan continues to build after a media interview this morning where on three occasions he avoided answering a question that goes to the heart of the OzCar affair.

After days avoiding serious questioning, Treasurer Wayne Swan succumbed to pressure this morning and appeared on ABC Radio’s AM program. In the course of the interview he again confirmed that he had spoken to Mr John Grant about his application for assistance under the Government’s OzCar program.

But on three occasions he avoided answering direct questions about whether he had spoken to any one of the other 239 car dealers in need of Government assistance under the OzCar program.

Emma Griffiths: How many other dealers did you speak to directly on the phone even if it is just for two minutes? How many other dealers?

Wayne Swan: Well it’s a matter of public record that I spoke to Mr Grant.

Emma Griffiths: How many other dealers?

Wayne Swan: Well it’s a matter of public record that I spoke to Mr Grant and I spoke to many other people…

Emma Griffiths: Put it on the public record who else you spoke to. What other car dealers?

Wayne Swan: Well I have put it on the public record that I spoke to Mr Grant, Emma. But that is simply irrelevant…

Emma Griffiths: But you’re not answering the question, Mr Swan.

Wayne Swan: Well it’s not exactly the right question.

(AM programme, 25 June 2009)

It is unsustainable for Mr Swan to continue to claim that Mr Grant didn’t receive special assistance while also admitting that he didn’t personally call any of the other 239 car dealers.

Mr Swan also received updates on Mr Grant’s case faxed directly to his home.

Mr Swan was also aware that Mr Grant’s case was raised at a meeting with Ford Credit at which the finance company was seeking access to $550 million in Federal Government support.

Emails released by Mr Swan also demonstrate that Mr Grant provided his own financial assessment for eligibility.

Mr Swan has repeatedly failed to explain any of these facts in Parliament this week.

If Prime Minister Rudd welcomes full transparency on this issue he should move immediately to support the Coalition and establish a full judicial inquiry into each and every element of this affair." (end)

Make what you like of it, but even I have to admit that, "I am over it!!"

What a waste of a parliamentary week.

I did have one slightly cynical thought though.

What a great way for the Opposition to put off any agreement on the Carbon Trading Scheme. Surely not????

What do you reckon Dave and Eagle??

Cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.