turning arid australia back to an oasis

1. 17,117 Posts.
    We dont need an ETS or GW scams, most countries around the world have been destroyed with the wrong land management and farming practices....but it can be turned around...with common sense and some labour, at a very small cost...

this is early days in my research and ideas on how we can all turn this beautiful country back into the lush oasis it used to be....how it was before white man came along and destoyed it...

if you recall I am looking to take some arid land, and following Peter Andrews and Percival Yeomans research and plans...to do my bit and to transform it....to prove we can save our land, our country....

Initially I am searching for suitable land, for the first project. The criteria, it must be affordable to me to begin with, within reasonable commuting distance from my home in Melbourne, be sloping undulating land, in order to follow the above guru's plans. Preferences include, the land does have some water, either damns or rivers, creek beds, and in a distressed condition.

My idea is to trial a smaller project, then later go for bigger projects with investor and government funding.

Peter Andrews idea is to green the land, cover it with any grasses and weeds, until it becomes healthy again. He suggests that can take less than 3 years, and crops can be grown, hence income producing in a short time.

How many of you would be prepared to give up your city lifestyle, high income, and mcmansion in order to save some part of our great country. And the resultant pride that you left a large environmentally sustainable foot print for future generations to follow.

after a quick search I have found some small acreages...
    many are under 75,000 with building permits in place...(believe I may find much cheaper land further away from Melb, and in the central districts of NSW,... WA is the worst basket)
    look at this one..***it appears to be already half way there, covered in grass or bushes...appears to be slightly undulating, and with the dams in place......
    about 2 hours north of Melbourne, past Bendigo, 185 klms

"WOLF CREEK" - INGLEWOOD

Pituresque 20 acre (approx) bush block just 3 kilometres from Inglewood. The 2 dams, abundant wildlife, peace and tranquility combine to ensure this property will appeal to anybody looking for a weekend getaway, a place to go horse or motorbike riding, a fantastic home site (STCA) or a great investment.
    Blocks of this quality are highly sought after and it's sure to sell quickly.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=2709458&f=0&p=10&t=lan&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=12985234&s=vic&tm=1261526011

map showing the trip... http://apps.nowwhere.com.au/TourismVic/RoutePlanner/default.aspx

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.