I posted this on another thread, but it is appropriate for this...

1. 4,287 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    I posted this on another thread, but it is appropriate for this discussion because it appears that many people seem to believe that "before was good, now is bad", when it comes to climate and natural environment matters here in Australia.
    This information refers to just one portion of Australia, which at the moment it is considered one of the safest, most reliable parts of the continent to farm. Despite all the doom and gloom promoted by those who try and seize on any unusual weather event to support claims of adverse climate change, things may be as good as, or better now, than what is was over a century ago. Even though Judith Troeth, the Liberal senator who crossed the floor, claimed her personal knowledge of living on a farm right in the middle of this described area, (she left it some years ago), led her to believe in adverse climate change in the area, the facts simply don't support her claim.
    This is what I posted on the other thread.

The Glenelg River basin in what is now known as the "Green Triangle", being an area of south western Victoria and south eastern South Australia, was from 21000 to 8000 years ago as dry then as what the Mallee is today. The weather then became tropical, then about 3000 years ago settled into the climate of today with hot dry summers, and cool wet winters. Evidence exists of a cold dry spell around 3500 to 3000 years ago.
    Interestingly the same book that provided the above information also listed the droughts that plagued the area since settlement, particularly in the 1800's.
    They were:-
    1836. (early days of white settlement.)
    1838-41. (The 1840's were generally continual drought, but 1843-44 was wet.)
    1865-69.
    1877-81.
    1881-87.
    1895-99.
    1902. (described as a whopper)
    1914. (also described as a whopper)
    1937-38.
    1967.(biggest since 1914)
    The later ones aren't documented in the book.
    Interestingly, or unfortunately, the continuous droughts of the 1800's impacted negatively on the aboriginal population as they and the settlers were forced to fight for access and control of dwindling water supplies as the rivers dried up.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.