GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

A general query regarding the 10 year treasury/bond yield - I'd...

1. 2,739 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    A general query regarding the 10 year treasury/bond yield - I'd appreciate some help please.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm trying to join some dots, as I could only find sketchy details on the internet.

All I know is the 10 year bond yield curve is the price of 10 year treasuries/bonds on the secondary market (second hand market) at given points in time.

I'm assuming the 10 year bonds were originally issued some time ago - maybe years ago - at a set/fixed coupon rate.
    Let's say the coupon rate was 1.5%.

Some of these bonds were presumably then traded on the secondary market - and are subject to buying and selling and ongoing risk assessment by investors - the result of which is a varying yield (despite the fact the bonds were originally issued/auctioned at a fixed coupon rate - and if held to maturity - i.e., not sold into the secondary market - would have delivered the fixed rate throughout the tenure).

Am I right so far?

As the bonds (on the secondary market) near maturity, does the the yield curve change to reflect that?

If the US government issued a new batch of 10 year treasury bonds - would they need to be issued at a coupon rate close to the 10 year bond yield rate, to attract investors?
    What is the significance of the yield curve?

thank you in advance.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.