CNO 4.55% 4.6¢ conto resources limited

udu copper mine

1. 15,913 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2305
    Came across this info regarding the Udu Copper mine.....

"Mine firm wants licence renewed
    November 11, 2011 | Filed under: Fiji News | Posted by: newsroom
    Written By : MAIKA BOLATIKI.
    Government is processing an application by Matai Holdings Limited Exploration, a foreign-owned mining exploration company, for the renewal of their licence which expires next month.
    “We are processing it now,” Director of Mineral Resources director, Malakai Finau said.
    He said the project had been in existence since 1968 being run by a Japanese mining company.
    Mr Finau said Matai Holdings had used $4 million from 2001 to 2011 in exploration.
    With the renewal of the licence the company indicated that it would be using another $1.5m.
    He said the company wanted to conduct more exploration to establish the availability of other minerals in the areas of their operation.
    The company, he said, had been working on copper and zinc prospects over a number of years but they now wanted to extend their findings.
    The company wants to renew its exploration licence for another three years. “It will be after this that that they will decide whether they would apply for a mining licence.”
    He said Prime Minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama was briefed by company executives during his tour to Nukudamu, Udu, Vanua Levu, this week,
    The Prime Minister was briefed on the Nukudamu mine exploration project by the Matai Holdings Limited Exploration manager, Stewart Capp.
    Mr Capp said he briefed the Prime Minister on their work on copper and zinc prospects, which had been going on for years.
    “We hope to develop a mine here eventually as we have already invested $4 million,” Mr Capp said.
    The Prime Minister was told that the company commenced work in 2006 and carried out drilling works around an old mine area.
    Mr Capp said the company had a good relationship with the people of Nukudamu.
    “We have a policy of employing people from Nukudamu and other villagers from Udu Point,” he said."
    http://www.fijisun.com.fj/2011/11/11/mine-firm-wants-licence-renewed/

Also found this article.....

"Polymetallic deposits in Fiji typically carry high precious and base metal grades. A number of massive sulphide, skarn, epithermal vein and porphyry-associated vein deposits have been identified and evaluated, often on several occasions, for both their base and precious metal potential. None, however, has yet proved to hold sufficient tonnage to support mining.

Massive sulphides are usually associated with felsic volcanic centres, occurring as pods of massive ore within pipe- or dyke-like structures. Skarns and polymetallic veins occur more widely, often in association with Colo Plutonic Suite stocks which themselves commonly host disseminated pyrite. Hydrothermal 'smokers', discovered at great depths offshore in the North Fiji Basin, are believed to represent modern counterparts to the small, but often spectacular polymetallic deposits found on both Vanua Levu and Viti Levu.

One massive sulphide deposit that has already formed the basis for mining, Udu in northeast Vanua Levu, was worked between 1961 and 1968. Banno Mining Co.'s production totalled 32,500 t of ore grading 5.9% copper and 6.7% zinc from a number of isolated ore pockets."
    http://www.mrd.gov.fj/gfiji/mining/mjfiles/base_and_precious_metal_mineralisation.html

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CNO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.