@DBT9 - I should not be posting on here, where people are true...

1. 18,465 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 187
    @DBT9 - I should not be posting on here, where people are true believers and are determined to take the Bible stories for scientific fact.
    I see the Bible as no different to the wonderful stories of the Greeks (and later on Romans) about their numerous gods - all nature being 'peopled' by gods or god-like creatures who play games, sometimes wonderful, often malevolent with us humans
    or
    the stories of the Nordic people, who also had a Universe of Gods - and their heroes finished up in Walhalla after death, feasting and drinking - they also had a hell of sorts - Niflheim - where you went if you didn't die in battle (a 'hero') which explains much about their expansion across Europe, England, Russia - even in North Africa remains of the Vikings have been found.
    The Bible is much closer to us, historically - maybe not in time - but 'nordic heathens' still abounded as late as the 10th century in some of the remote north of Europe - but definitely existed in the England of the Saxon kings (800 - 900 or thereabouts) - all the newer invaders were heathens.
    In Europe you had Charlemagne (a German by birth, but founding the 'French' nation) subjugating the heathen Germans by force (he killed thousands of unwilling 'converts' - in the name of 'Christianity' what else?!)
    I regard the Bible and its teachings, and particularly the teaching of Jesus as a forward step in humanity's moral growth - have been brought up that way, but I do not follow any church, nor do I believe in the 'truth' of the tales of the Old Testament. These books were/are important for the development of humanity as a conscious, aware and 'gentle' (there is hoping!!) warden of all living things - and look what a mess we have made of it.

I cannot dive into the Asian history of religion, which also has a morality in it, common with the general tenor of our Christian upbringing - but hugely different in detail, because I don't know enough about it, apart from having done a bit of yoga in the past (and trying to do it again frown.png)

On a lighter note: If you have ever done an examination of our classic fairy-tales, you will detect wisdom in them - even hints at historical truths, happenings.
    We are a story-telling species, a thinking species - and I hope 'an evolving' species.
    May I use a greeting another HC friend (yes, I have some friends left smile.png) greets me with?
    Namaste
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.