CND 0.00% 3.0¢ condor energy limited

uh oh

1. 942 Posts.
    Just read this on Yahoo

The Northern Territory's most powerful indigenous body is calling for a moratorium on fracking.
    The Territory Government says strict environmental assessment will be done before any move is made to mine using fracking.
    But the Northern Land Council says more research is needed before major fracking projects are allowed.
    The Northern Territory's Barkly, McArthur Basin and Alice Springs regions hold rich deposits of shale oil gas. Green groups say companies exploring them should not be allowed to mine without more scientific research. NT Environment Centre Director Stuart Blanch says there is the potential for a number of fracking ventures to be undertaken.
    "There are already about 50 exploration licences already issued across the Territory covering 70 of the landmass under the Petroleum Act which could result in fracking," Mr Blanch said.
    "On the Barkly tableland itself there could be eight or nine thousand wells." Fracking uses high pressure water and chemicals and sand to break apart rock, which then lets the gas flow to the surface.
    Indigenous land owners want fracking plans halted.
    Northern Land Council CEO Kim Hill says there needs to be more research into fracking.
    "There needs to be a moratorium, there needs to be a lot more science done particularly in regards to water and the materials and minerals which they use to drill." Concerns raised overseas and interstate about coal seam gas mining have fuelled Territory worries.
    The Territory Government says it is aware there are environmental concerns about fracking and all applications will be rigorously assessed.
    Northern Territory Treasurer Delia Lawrie says geologically the Territory is different to other areas.
    "I am advised though that New South Wales and Queensland are quite a different geological scenario to the Barkly where the water table is sitting around 200 metres below the surface where these oil and gas supplies being explored are sitting around 2000 metres below the surface.
    But the Territory Resources Department says a full Environmental Impact Statement assessment may not be required for every fracking approval.
    Northern Territory Environment Minister Karl Hampton says he has not yet started to consider the possible environmental impacts of gas fracking on the Territory.
    He says he will conduct assessments where necessary.
    "I've got a very limited knowledge in terms of the process today but I understand that is a very contentious process of exploration," Minister Hampton said.
    "My role would be to go through and do any environmental assessment of that process.
    At this point certainly, nothing has come across my table in terms of an environmental assessment process that needs to be addressed."

http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/Land-Council-calls-NT-abc-3044174361.html?x=0

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CND (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
3.0¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $17.34M
Open High Low Value Volume
3.0¢ 3.0¢ 2.9¢ $19.13K 650.5K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 14551 2.9¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
3.0¢ 311337 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 11.39am 29/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CND (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.