I'm spoiled for choice at the moment. I've got hold of a couple...

1. 16,000 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 134
    I'm spoiled for choice at the moment. I've got hold of a couple of classic adaptations which I previously had but somehow went missing:
    Dickens' Bleak House and Trollope's Dr Thorne.
    The first has long been one of my favourite screen adaptations, with some marvellous character roles.
    Many of Dicken's books have been made into movies and, even better, into series. The most done have probably been Great Expectations, Oliver Twist and David Copperfield. But for me the best made have been Little Dorrit, Bleak House and Martin Chuzzlewit.
    Sadly many of Dickens books, all of them good, have never made it to the screen.

Anthony Trollope's Dr Thorne, one of his Barset series, was one I looked forward to when it came to TV, but somehow I was a bit disappointed. It has good actors, maybe it was cut too much. But I'm giving it another try and hope it's better the second time around. I've heard it said some things are, but maybe that was just a song.
    Bleak House is another treat altogether, both for the acting and for being faithful to the author. Gillian Anderson is excellent in her part.
    As well as all that I'm watching a series I found on 7+, The Halcyon, which looks promising, as well as another Dickens - Our Mutual Friend.
    Meanwhile I'm trying not to lose track of a couple of other things like Wisting (a poor substitute for Wallender).

ps re Little Dorrit: some people may know that Dickens earlier books came out in installments, weekly or monthly I can't remember. His work was so popular in the US that people would crowd the wharf in New York when they knew the boat was coming in with the next installment. Pop culture is nothing new.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.