PET 0.00% 2.5¢ phoslock environmental technologies limited

I'll stick to the facts reported .....Water companies across the...

1. 696 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 451
    I'll stick to the facts reported .....

Water companies across the country will aim to:

• Install the equivalent of thousands of new Olympic swimming pools to hold surges in rainwater that would otherwise overload the system;
    • Increase the capacity of sewage treatment works, allowing them to treat higher volumes of rainfall and sewage;
    • Replace concrete with grass and ponds to reduce rainfall run-off entering sewers, protecting them against the overloading that causes spills;
    • Treat overflow spills so they have much less impact on the river, including through reed beds, wetlands and other nature-friendly projects; and
    • Improve the sewer network by enlarging and improving pipes, allowing them to safely carry more sewage during peak times, and fixing misconnected pipes from properties.

The investment would see water companies build large amounts of “grey” infrastructure – engineering solutions such as larger storm tanks to hold back water in heavy rain, and larger treatment works.

Water UK said that the plans including building storm tanks equivalent to 1,000 Olympic swimming pools.

There will also be “green” infrastructure – natural solutions such as rain gardens in urban areas, porous surfaces and ponds, and swales – broad, shallow channels that collect and transfer stormwater and run-off.

These green methods all slow the amount of water reaching treatment works during peak times, and reduce the need for sewage spills.

No committment yet to water treatment ...

“If it is delivered it will make a significant contribution to the health of our rivers and nature recovery. We now need to see similar commitments for improvements to treated sewage effluent, road run-off and agricultural pollution, each of which causes more harm to rivers and coastal waters than sewage spills. However, this is a massive stride forward on the journey towards healthy rivers for everyone to enjoy.”

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PET (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.