unaustralian?

1. 117 Posts.
    There has been some discussion over the last few days re Twiggy and his UNAUSTRALIAN behaviour. I have often wondered what a person means when they refer to someone as being 'UNAUSTRALIAN' or the converse.

Growing up in a conservative rural region, being Australian was honouring 'the flag, country and king'. It was caring for your neighbour, working together to help each other out and valuing honesty. Times have changed - we have a global economy - and have welcomed many different people from many different nations. They have enriched our life and gradually been assimilated into our nation, contributing to its economic, cultural and philosophical development.
    The process did not happen overnight. From observation, I believe it has taken at least two generations for this assimilation to occur.

For an indigenous person, being Australian will have a completely different meaning to those of caucasian origin.

I welcome a positive discussion about your understanding of this term. Unfortunately we tend to use this term almost spontaneously when something occurs with which we may not agree.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.