EML 1.93% $1.02 eml payments limited

Understanding Today's Announcement

1. 3,096 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 142
    I thought it might be interesting to review today's announcement and have a crack at reading between the lines to see if there is a sensible way to quantify the damager here.

Disclaimer: I'm a long-term holder of a decent sized position so I'm well aware i'm doing this activity with deep rose-colour glasses. I'll attempt to stay as balanced as possible as I go through this exercise.

---------------
    EML PAYMENTS LIMITED (ASX: EML) (“EML”) refers to its request for a trading halt dated 17 May 2021.

EML advises that its Irish regulated subsidiary, PFS Card Services (Ireland) Limited(‘PCSIL’), has received correspondence from the Central Bank of Ireland (‘CBI’),including a letter received on Friday 14 May 2021 (Australian time) raising significant regulatory concerns (‘Correspondence’). The CBI is the relevant regulator in Ireland.
    A letter from the Irish regulator CBI (think AUSTRAC locally) was received, maybe out of the blue, maybe not, raising "significant regulatory concerns".

Significant is the important word here. I would suspect it is the terminology used in the communication sent by CBI to PFS, and therefore the EML lawyers would have ensured it was included in any announcement to market - which it has been, both here and in the trading halt announcement.

So what does significant actually mean? Unfortunately there's no exact legal definition. We can see examples of where significant is used regarding other CBI regulatory breaches here, here, and here.
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/3194/3194368-6a57437fe46d7fc4b1aea9e263780edf.jpg

So, can we infer the size and scale of the breach based on the word 'significant' alone? Unfortunately not. Matters both big and small would be described as 'significant'. If I was looking for a silver lining here I would point out that the AML enforcement highlighted abovewas described as a significant concern, yet only resulted in a €280,000 fine.

The CBI’s concerns relate to PCSIL’s Anti-Money Laundering / Counter TerrorismFinancing (‘AML/CTF’), risk and control frameworks and governance. TheCorrespondence states that the CBI is minded to issue directions to PCSIL pursuant to section 45 of the Central Bank (Supervision and Enforcement) Act 2013.
    This confirms the CBI's concern relates to AML/CTF. From a bit of Googling we find that this has been a specific area of focus for the CBI in recent times. Back in December 2020 the CBI issued a 'Dear CEO' letter to Irish businesses reminding them of their obligations under the legislation. Perhaps this has become an area of specific focus in recent times?

The Correspondence does not concern EML’s Australian or North American operations, or the operations of PFS’ UK subsidiary (‘Prepaid Financial ServicesLimited’ which is incorporated in England and regulated by the FCA), or EML’s other Irish regulated subsidiary (‘EML Money DAC’).
    This confirms the focus of the concern is limited to PFS' Irish operations. The bear case might suggest that CBI's action here might prompt other regulators to look more closely into other EML subsidiaries. The bull case suggests the reason other regulators have not raised similar concerns is that the other parts of EML have better risk management and compliance.

Prior to 19 December 2020, PFS’ European business primarily operated through its FCA regulated subsidiary. However, as a result of Brexit, PFS was required to transfer non-UK programs out of the UK. On 19 December 2020, all of PFS’ European programs were transferred to its CBI regulated subsidiary PSCIL.
    This is an interesting paragraph. This suggest that prior to 2021 PFS was regulated by the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority - the UK regulator) without issues or concerns. This changed in 2021 when CBI took over and subsequently uncovered something it didn't like.

The directions, if made, could materially impact the European operations of thePrepaid Financial Services business, including potentially restricting PCSIL’s activities under the Irish authorisation.
    This is an important ass covering statement that I guarantee would have required a heated conversation between management and their lawyers. It's basically saying that CBI has the power to make directions that *could* result in PFS shutting up shop. If that happened, there would be obviously be a material impact to PFS' business. Can we infer that this is likely to happen? Absolutely not. It's basically saying "We don't know what the regulator is going to hit us with yet, but it has the potential to be bad. Don't say we didn't warn you".

During the period from 1 January 2021 to 31March 2021, EML estimates that approximately 27% of EML’s global consolidated revenue (unaudited) derived from programs operating under PCSIL’s Irish authorisation.
    This is a really curious statement. Why was this included and why was that date range chosen? Is this simply informing us of the first quarters revenue split for this year It's interesting they have stated a the period immediately following CBI taking control of regulation responsibilities. Did the breach occur during this period?

The CBI has invited PCSIL to provide it with submissions in relation to the concerns,which PCSIL intends to do by 27 May 2021.
    Makes sense

The CBI and PCSIL are currently in close dialogue regarding the concerns raised and PCSIL is working with the CBI to assist it in receiving information and documentation relevant to its concerns.
    Makes sense

EML welcomes the opportunity to engage more closely with the CBI in relation to the matters raised and PCSIL’s business model more generally. EML is committed to cooperating with the CBI and is taking steps to address concerns raised.
    I bet it does

EML is independently regulated in multiple regions and subject to regular audits by various parties including Central banks, payment schemes, external and internal auditors and other third parties. EML takes regulatory compliance, including AML/CTF, risk management and governance very seriously, and is committed to ensuring our global operations meet the highest standards of risk and regulatoryc ompliance.
    Again, reminding us that the core business of EML has operated across multiple jurisdictions over many years with no other incident of serious breach. The bull in my would like to believe this is the result of good governance, rather than good luck, and the issues being uncovered in Ireland are evidence of a lower maturity cowboy operation, but only time will tell.
    Things I really want to understand:
    • What period does the concern relate to?
    • Was the concern self-reported, or uncovered in another way?
    • What's the average turnaround for a direction following response to a concern?

How could this play out
    • Bull case: The breach was self-reported, and related to poor monitoring and supervision activities. PFS resolve (or have already resolved) the issue and receive a fine of anywhere between €100,000 and €3.325,000 (the smallest and largest fines I've been able to find for breaches of the CBI AML / CTF Act).
    • Bear case: The breach was the result of proactive, systemic money laundering activity, that PFS management was both aware of and encouraged as a juicy revenue channel. They are stripped of their licence to operate, and are hit with the largest fine on record for an Irish business in breach of the Act. EML loses a quarter of revenue, and I suspect would commence legal action against the Moran's to claw back the sale. Not pretty.

As I've started in the other thread, my gut feel (hope) is that we are going to land closer to the bull case than the bear case, but we simply don't have enough data to know for sure. It'll certainly be a few interesting weeks ahead while this plays out.
    Last edited by Stweeve: 19/05/21

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add EML (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$1.02
Change
-0.020(1.93%)
Mkt cap ! $386.1M
Open High Low Value Volume
$1.04 $1.04 $1.01 $566.6K 554.4K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
20 45627 $1.01

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$1.02 10020 6
View Market Depth
Last trade - 13.00pm 30/04/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$1.01
  Change
-0.020 ( 2.78 %)
Open High Low Volume
$1.04 $1.04 $1.01 3924075
Last updated 13.20pm 30/04/2024 ?
EML (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.