CBH 0.00% 7.0¢ coolabah metals limited

undervalued or overvalued, page-24

1. 4,448 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1668
    CBH is about lead. Lead lead lead.

The reason guys like Russ get all worried about zinc companies is because in their mind zinc is a 60c a pound commodity trading in la-la land and all resource companies' share prices must neccessarily respond in a 1:1 fixed relationship in movements in the base underlying commodity: zinc. ergo, if the zinc price crashes, CBH will crash.

Charting is like anthropomancy; its just complete voodoo doodoo. That said, if you look at the Jabiru Metals Diggers presentation on the after-credits cash cost of zinc producers it is clear that the price of zinc cannot fall significantly below around US$1/lb. This will make Russ uncomfortable in his pants, but its simple; if you lose mines in a tight zinc market (Macquarie reckons Zn will stay tight for 2 more years) then the floor price is determined by the highest quartile cash cost producer; this is Xstrata's McArthur River at US$90c/lb before credits.

Lead is in an even more dire situation with Magellan out of commission for at least 6 months. There are no new mines with significant lead - Rasp at Broken Hill will merely replace Magellan's loss. Lead will be around 30% of CBH's revenues this year versus 12% last year. That's a significant improvement in earnings which is lost upon Macquarie's analysts, hence you can't believe Macquarie's 50c price target.

Similarly, if zinc falls to US$2,400/t CBH may track down on technicals, but mark my words; one decent quarterly report in the next month with earnings and production data to work from and the true story of CBH's profitability will come out.

Will PEM mak a play for CBH? It could. They have $220M in cash and are making a lot more money (again, thanks to the lead price) than last year. The two companies wold go hand in hand - particularly because PEM could get massive synergies from gaining Rasp. But CBH would be an expensive thing for PEM to buy. I doubt it will happen. But PEM could knock off Terramin, Jabiru or something similar.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CBH (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.