Small retailers have been getting overwhelmed by big retailers...

1. 58,089 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    Small retailers have been getting overwhelmed by big retailers for a long time. IMO the days of many specialty shops are numbered, not all as some offer something unique or have a niche market, but certainly most have a bleak future if they are still trading. Nothing to do with the government just changing business economics.

Also threatening both large and small retailers now is online shoping. Some Australian online retailers now have a large turnover which must have been taken from shopfront retailers. And now with the high Australian dollar online shopping makes it possible to buy many small items very cheaply from overseas. I have actually been purchasing model railway items from America recently as if I buy half a dozen different items at a time the purchase price plus one medium size parcel freight to my door totals less than half what the same items retail at here.
    As more and more people discover they can do this Australian retailers will find life even more difficult.

Dave R.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.