Watched it online and it raises a couple of...

1. 791 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Watched it online and it raises a couple of questions/points:
    Defined Contribution funds ARE NOT all subject to 'The Markets' as Stephen Long suggests, it depends on investments chosen (I point this out in order to question the style of reporting - I sometimes feel the 7.30 Report should be at 6.30).

UniSuper don't just offer a Defined Benefit Scheme, with newer members probably in a Defined Contribution Scheme (possibly??). Sounds like there may be a separation of liabilities (DYOR!!).

Most DB schemes these days are run by State or Fed Govt's that (hopefully) will earmark future revenue to cover liabilities. With Uni's etc, that may not be the case it seems and MAY be an issue if they are unwilling to cover shortfall, because they would have their own individual funding levels etc.

Can DB Scheme members cause 'a run on the fund' or can they only commute to a lump sum at retirement, if at all?? I don't know what options they provide and not obvious from a quick look at website, but it may be there.

The CEO indicated that employers 'were never on the hook' which is interesting and maybe this isn't a new problem, just one that is closer to becoming reality, perhaps??

Which members interests are they looking after? Pensioned, current or future.....

A bit of a sticky situation me thinks and it might blow up or just blow over.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.