AVL 7.14% 1.5¢ australian vanadium limited

UNISA flow battery, page-12

1. 1,848 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 218
    I have been reading and researching (vanadium and lithium - and more importantly how those elements are used in batteries/energy storage solutions in different technical configurations) and I will keep doing that.

"BP problem is the life cycle isn't 10 years with lithium it's much less. I've looked into Tesla power wall from the 7 year mark they only guarantee around 30% capacity so we may as well say it's stuffed by then and even earlier if it catches fire".

The use case for the battery matters. Does the battery have to be mobile or not? EVs (electric vehicles) need batteries that are lighter-weight, home and grid storage don't care about weight- most even casual observers know that.

But within the grid, in front of the meters of houses and businesses there are various use cases too. It doesn't always matter whether you can deep discharge the battery. Sometimes the battery is only needed for a short interval as an emergency measure.

Even a 7 year battery life could be long enough to see significant advances in battery technology from where we are currently. I would expect the dendrimer problem for instance that causes lithium-ion batteries to short and catch fire could be significantly bypassed in the next 7 years by changes to the battery design - solid rather than liquid electrolytes.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AVL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.