KDR 0.00% $1.90 kidman resources limited

As I've been posting my correspondence with ASIC on the scheme...

1. 1,884 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1131
    As I've been posting my correspondence with ASIC on the scheme booklet etc I thought I may as well add the last exchange.

My motivation for doing this - I hate feeling disempowered out of legal rights and I expect other retail shareholders feel similarly. Whilst the amount of shares I hold in KDR make the cost of challenging the scheme of arrangement too great for me personally - that doesn't mean the scheme of arrangement could not have successfully have been challenged by a shareholder with deeper pockets or a perhaps a group of shareholders coming together - and I believe the market is entering a period where there is likely to be more merger and acquisition activity - more schemes of arrangement and takeovers. Another stock I hold CYP has notified that it received a non binding proposal potentially involving a scheme of arrangement.

Weak or greedy boards can be used by large players against their own shareholders. Because of the cost factors in defending a position (like a shareholder's legal rights) I feel confident that not all potentially winnable actions are taken. The cost of taking a matter to the takeovers panel would be about $2400 for the application fee for instance. Which is not much if there are a large enough number of shares involved but does constitute a significant hurdle for most retail shareholders with diverse portfolios.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/1721/1721702-3ddcf2c3eec849309e5839b5d319b5bd.jpg
    What I find interesting in the comment from the ASIC lawyer suggesting that the existence of a clear intent by a shareholder to object to a scheme of arrangement may cause ASIC to get involved at the second hearing stage as well.

Of course an objection based on nonsense could hardly expect support. And I wasn't really surprised that ASIC didn't want to get into offering advice on legal costs.

A crappy argument probably does deserve to have costs awarded against the person making it for wasting time but a genuinely held view with proper research behind it based on the existing law would, I believe, get a pretty sympathetic hearing from a judge in the context of a second hearing at least to the extent of not having costs awarded against it for the time taken by legal counsel to prepare a rebuttal. But that is just my opinion.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add KDR (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.