PWT powertel limited

up 24%, page-2

1. 4,941 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 147
    Hi Mack,

I tend to follow a lot of the telcos.

PWT's continued rise since the Roslyndale announcement was made has surprised me, as I honestly thought that the share dprice would languish (ie: drift back lower, rather than increase by nearly 75%).

Last week, I made a comparison between the fortunes of SLX and PWT, as at the time, both were similarly capitalised, but were very different in terms of debt outstanding, cash on hand, intangibles /"at risk" assets sitting as hard values on the Balance Sheet, etc.

At the time (ie: a week ago), PWT was capitalised at 95% of SLX's value (ie: ~$58m). Now, PWT is capitalised at ~165% of SLX's current value (ie: $91m vs $56m). In striking that level, PWT is also now closing in fast on CSFB's December 2002 (set) price target of 16c.

PWT is also now trading at a premium to its last stated
    Net Asset position of $76m which still includes ~$180m in network assets /installed base.

Is this justified?

Hard to say, but there must be more than a few out there who are now thinking in terms of Tier 3 consolidation, etc, especially now that Li ki-Shing's ETSA Utilities has now also stepped into the fray (ie: comments attributed yesterday to Basil Scarsella to the effect that ETSA wants to build up its telco asset base).

I would, therefore, sugegst that some of those buying into PWT are doing so now on the back of a takeover /market aggregation opportunity, as opposed to business fundamentals.

Mind you, it could also have something to do with 2 major new telco sector reports having been published over the last few days, by ABN AMRO (9th May), and by JB Were (19th May).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PWT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.