uranium - i dont get it..., page-3

1. 1,477 Posts.
    Yak,
    This is a post I made a few weeks ago that gives a bit of an background into current interest in uranium mining companies.

Policies change with whatever the current realities are.

Subject iaea projects 60 new nuclear power plants
    Posted 05/04/05 15:39 - 76 reads
    Posted by wildthing_2000
    Post #562014 - in reply to msg. #561975 - splitview

Not sure if this has been posted before.

My opionion is that it would seem fairly prudent to keep some of the less speculative Uranium stocks as some part of your portfolio for now and probably the near future.

PDN for example, seems to provide both very profitable investment and trading opportunities by scaling your position with the rise and fall of the stock price, but that depends on how you like to conduct your business.

There does not seem to be much of anything proven, apart from nuclear power, of much substance in the near horizon to replace fossil fuels as a major source of energy for the world's economies, although the various renewable sources will very likely have their roles to play.

The various investments around the world, particularly in Asia, are being planned and budgeted now and, while stoppable, this process tends to build a sustainable intertia into the process of securing the supplies of fuel needed.

Just my opinion, and what do I know better than anyone else?

IAEA projects 60 new nuclear power plants over next 15 years

The International Atomic Energy Agency’s (IAEA) is projecting that at least 60 more plants will come online over the next 15 years to help meet global electricity demands.

2005-04-01 19:41

“The current picture is one of rising expectations,” the IAEA Director-General, Mohamed ElBaradei, told the organisation’s Board of Governors meeting on March 5 in Vienna. Based on the most conservative assumption, the latest report on the subject forecasts around 430 gigawatts of global nuclear capacity in 2020, up from 367 gigawatts today, translating into just over 500 nuclear power plants worldwide by then.

This represents a slight rise in nuclear power's share in the world electricity market, to 17 per cent from 16 per cent, reversing previous downward estimates. Today, some 30 countries produce electricity using nuclear power. Worldwide 441 nuclear plants are in operation and 27 are being built.

The fastest growth is in Asia. By 2020 for example, China plans a six-fold increase in its nuclear electricity capacity, India a 10-fold increase. Mr. ElBaradei told the Board an increasing number of developing countries were requesting IAEA assistance in evaluating their energy needs and options. “In many cases – despite the acute need for energy that are central to these countries’ development – the prospects for using nuclear energy have been hampered because the large size of nuclear plants makes them unsuitable for lower capacity electricity grids,” he said. “For this reason the IAEA has maintained a focus on the potential for innovative small and medium sized reactor design, and a few projects are moving toward implementation.”

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.