BTA 0.00% 57.0¢ biota holdings limited

us guidelines slowly favoring relenza

1. 8,256 Posts.
    The current information from the official US National Guideline Clearinghouse on Influenza treatments tends to favour Zanamivir (i.e. Relenza) over the other options. In the document below, it describes the IF...THEN...ELSE cases for the main antivirals, Zanimivir (Relenza), Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and Adamantane (an older drug). Of the three, Relenza was the only drug recommended against all flu strains - in various strains, the other two were not recommended.

http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summary.aspx?doc_id=14173

Wish they would follow the commonsense KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle and just recommend Relenza across the board. Anyway, slowly slowly and as soon as LANI is introduced, I imagine it will be stocked by every GP and will clearly become the Antiviral of choice, WHICH IS THE REASON I STILL HOLD BIOTA SHARES.

Hey Peter, why don't you add a link to this clearinghouse doc from the Biota website. Oh, sorry, you see no benefit in showcasing Biota drugs in a positive light.

Here is the excerpt from above document:

What Antiviral Drug Should Be Used for Treatment?

Influenza viruses and their susceptibilities to available antiviral medications evolve rapidly. Clinicians should maintain familiarity with local patterns of influenza circulation in their communities throughout influenza season. Current and frequently updated information on antiviral resistance and recommendations on antiviral use may be found at http://www.cdc.gov/flu. Based on antiviral susceptibility patterns current as of February 2009, infection with an influenza A (H1N1) virus should be treated with either zanamivir or an adamantane (preferably rimantadine due to its more favorable side effect profile); oseltamivir should not be used for influenza A (H1N1). Infection with an influenza A (H3N2) virus should be treated with oseltamivir or zanamivir; the adamantanes should not be used for influenza A (H3N2). If subtype information is unavailable, influenza A should be treated either with zanamivir, or with a combination of oseltamivir and rimantadine. Infection with an influenza B virus should be treated only with oseltamivir or zanamivir. See Table 6 in the original guideline document for detailed information on antiviral regimens in appropriate age groups (A-II).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BTA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.