I think there is a deeper geopolitical shift occurring in...

1. 143 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 81
    I think there is a deeper geopolitical shift occurring in relation to the concept of, or implied limitations inherent in the principle of 'sovereignty of use' when procuring US armaments. I note countries are investing in their own R&D and industrial capacity to produce arms, or are buying non-US arms (including those with no US origin components fitted). For example Rafale fighter jets. This started many years ago in Africa, where national leaders who bought US helicopters could not employ them as they saw fit; so they did not buy them. Argentina US continually denied modern Western fighters so as to not pose a threat to the Falklands, Pakistan was taken to task for using F-16s against India recently. And I think this is restricting SAAB Gripen sales as it uses a US engine as sales require US approval.

If my understanding is correct, US arms sales can only be approved if it serves US interests, are deployed in respect of those interests and are destroyed or sold in accordance with US law. In effect, when you buy US arms or components thereof, they must be managed to the conditions of US law. For many countries this is too onerous and inflexible for small and middle powers as they rise in regional prominence and wish to defend their own interests in the face of renewed global competition.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.